dpawl31's Aveo build thread

This forum is for a continuous build threads of the progression of your car.
dpawl31

dpawl31's Aveo build thread

Postby dpawl31 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 pm

Have myself an '04 aveo I bought new, 35 miles on it, Oct 2004.

$8400 with power-nothing but I do have A/C.

Nearly 70k now.

Finally looking into doing some decent things to it.

So far I've had since roughly day 1 a custom short ram intake, the rims, and that's about it for performance.

As for stereo, I have a blue motorized Pioneer deck, I replaced all the speakers, with a 1/2 farad power cap going to a 700w mono Alpine amp split to dual 10" rockford fosgates (from the 80s I believe!) that REALLY pound. I mean, I actually blew the tweeters out of my rear deck speakers.

Anyway, what I want to do now...
well, replace the suspension... front left strut been blown for 3 years.
Probably time to do it all the way around right?

Any suggestions?

Whilst I am doing that, looking @ H&R springs to drop it 1.5 front 1.0 back if I remember right.

My question is, what do you guys think about that drop with 15" wheels, ANDDDD most important, do I have to worry about tire wear being uneven or too quick? What is your experience with drops on this car?

As for exhaust I want to see if the integra headers I have will work with some modification, and then go from headers straight back to a good rumbly loud muffler.
All suggestions welcome.

If anyone is in the New England area... let me know. We have a 300+ mile drive coming up on my motorsports forum on the 18th and I'd love for some to come out. Over 200 people so far, looking at 150+ cars.

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: Hey guys, new here - but not to the 'veo.

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 am

Hello dpawl31, welcome to AveoNetwork.com. Nice aveo. H&R's lower your car 1.5 in the front and 1.4 in the rear. Dropped on 15's you actually will have plenty of clearance still. As for exhaust one of our members xioagary sells a couple different style of headers for the aveo from Singapore. From what I've read a lot of aveo owners are using MagnaFlow mufflers...the possibilities are endless though. I'm getting a Flowmaster 60 series. Once again, welcome and enjoy bwosing and posting the board. If you have any questions just ask. Actually if you could, post this topic in Members Rides section and label it "dpawl31's ride" or something like that so we know where to look to watch your build progress and you can update everything you do in that thread. Thanks a lot.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:19 pm

BTW Good job with the new site.

Thanks for the welcome.

I know I'd have clearance with the 15" but would they look good?

And as far as the lowering, will I have issues with tire wear?

I know the front is adjustable but the rear is not, will they wear uneven
or is it a small enough drop to not do anything?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

welcome.

the springs will eliminate wheel well gap, so in my opinion it will only improve looks, regardless of what wheel size you have.

the rear will be marginally faster wearing of the tires. and i mean if you get 20000 miles out of a set, you might only get 18000 with it lowered. mine are wearing very well, only my fronts went bald 4 times.. :lol:

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 pm

+1, you'll notice over time your rears will wear a little more on the inside of the tread due to the angle the wheel sits at with the weight of the car on the rear suspension. They lean like this: / \....not quite that bad, but you get my drift.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:41 pm

welcome, if you want to see a 1st gen aveo with 15s and h&r springs check out my photobucket (y2daniel1981)
You can't believe everything you read on the internet, after all that's how World War 1 was started.

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:10 am

OK well it's been a while since I have been around, but I have some new plans for this summer.

So far, I have a short ram intake, custom exhaust, debadged grill, and 14" Rial Campo rims.

Tomorrow goes on the 12 LED fog lights.
Also going to plexiglass box in my air filter, and run some sort of tubing to the fender for cold air.
Yes - I prefer this method to straight cold air, and will let you know how it works out!

But for the better news.

Doing timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner, plus valve cover gasket next weekend.
Next step when I get cash: full front brake job. Looking for the right rotors.
After that, full KYB G2 suspension setup w/ H&R's.

Then - installing a MegaSquirt II and attempting to get a solid base tune.

Hopefully sometime this summer - get to 5PSI boost!

I am hoping to get sponsored by DIYAutoTune.com to allow me to 'aquire' the MSII.
With the plans I have, and the lack of cash, I'll need 'donations' but any items I get will aquire ad space on the car, which will be at shows weekly all summer, as well as go to many events around new england gaining massive attention. As well as it is a daily driver for ~40 miles round trip on the highway.

So, if, eh, Gary, wants to sponsor me, with a 4-1 short header... I sure could help sell those headers to other aveo owners off-site!

No joke. If aveo owners not on this site see his header in my car, working... it'll send a lot of sales to him! My header is already so rusted and worn that the heat shield fell off, and it now is developing a crack. Exhaust + brake drums = only rust on the car, 6 years old, in NEW ENGLAND!

(If a mod could please move my thread to member rides, that'd be awesome... not sure why it got moved here?)

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 am

New Pic, courtesy of one of my car club's photographers on a bi-annual cruise.

Oscarthagrouch003

Postby Oscarthagrouch003 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 am

8-) looks nice. keep us posted!

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:40 am

Looks nice. I too have a red aveo sedan. you can look at my build as see what i have done to it which isnt much. but once i get money i got some things planned for my car.

Return to “Members Rides”