•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Aveo - EV (144v / 1000 Amps = 193 horsepower and massive torque!)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Electric Aveo - EV (144v / 1000 Amps = 193 horsepower and massive torque!)

This is my Aveo... it's now all electric. It also features a custom GPS/DVD/Phone system with touch screen.

it's made for the Aveo and works GREAT.

the best part now is that I don't have to buy gas, change oil or filters... just plug it in!!!

any comments?

Marcos.

Attached Images Attached Images           

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcshbs For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (04-14-2017)

Banned
      Thanks
      Nice. I bet it's faster than a standard Aveo. XD
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Thanks
      Yes it is... the new electric drive train smokes the regular 4 cylinder engine... but I do drive it very slow for now until I get the batteries broke in.

here the video link on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQgQ04IuZs
      Last edited by mrcshbs; 11-23-2010 at 01:43 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcshbs For This Useful Post:

jonnystokes (03-11-2021)

Banned
      Thanks
      That's really cool. I've considered converting my Z34 to an EV, but I love the sound of my 7,000 RPM V6 too much to go through with it.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      thats really cool. Ive been wanting to convert something to an EV for while now.
      I notice the conversion was done with an manual transmission vehicle. This may sound like a silly question but I would like to know if you shift gears as you would in a normal combustion engine vehicle?
      Ive done abit of research into it conversions and heared you just need to place it in second gear and thats all. I couldnt tell whether you were shifting gears in your video.

Thanks and good work.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its just got a couple questions, and i dont mean for them to come off as rude or not thought out but..

is lossing the factory functions a common problem in ev conversions? you point out that certain things still work over and over, but i cant see why those systems should be affected at all?

also i think i caught you shifting, i saw the comment about.. do the motor "idle" or just stop? you make the comment of pushing in the clutch at a stop.. but do you really need to? there is no engine to stall.. what happens during a shift?

what is your range to charge time?

and what did it cost? how many hp did you go with?

Banned
      Thanks
      My only questions is how many batteries, what wattage are they, and what's your range. Also, your tach doesn't work

And Rabbit. HP doesn't matter with electric cars and electric motors. It's all about the torque ratings since all the torque is available from 0 through the rest of the RPM band. It makes for.... interesting 0-60 times, and a requirement of knowing how to deal with torquesteer. On the other-hand, it's safe to say that this EV Aveo is officially a hot hatch. LOL. Electric cars don't idle, the motor comes to a complete stop... From MY research anyways. There may be an exception. With that set up, I would think he'd have it programmed to idle so as to keep the accessories working.

..... I've dabbled in research of EV's a bit....
      Last edited by Z34guy; 11-22-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks
      Very nice conversion Marcos! 144V and 1000A controller must be fun. For the others, that is 193 horsepower. Plus he is running a series wound dc motor which can produce massive torque from 0 rpm. I'm curious if you did all the work yourself, or had a shop do the conversion?

FYI it still is about horsepower. Torque is how much work you can do (how much weight you can move/tow). Horsepower is how fast you get that work done (how fast you accelerate). The massive low rpm torque just gives you far better acceleration at low rpms when compared to gas engines.

Loosing factory functions is definitely an issue when converting to electric. Lets think about it, you have to reattach the power steering and A/C via belts and specifically tell the electric motor to idle just to keep that functionality. So, most guys who DIY just rip that stuff out to simplify the conversion process. Heat is always a big deal since you don't get 'free' heat from the engine anymore. You now have to drain some of your battery pack to create heat and thus loose range. The turn signals and lights aren't a real big deal as they don't have to have anything done with them. I'd be interested to hear more about what makes the nav system customized.

I was able to find Marcos evalbum page which has a bit more of the specifics on the system:

Marco's 2005 Chevrolet Aveo

Overall its a really nice conversion.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      but they still sell electric motors based on hp ratings, and i wanted to know which he went with..

And i know they come to a complete stop thats why i was asking about shifting and such, because if you push in the clutch, to shift gears, do you let off the accelerator the motor stops so when you release the clutch its not moving?

Same with stopping, he commented about pushing in the clutch at the end of the alley, i just couldnt imagine why..

Thanks
      Yes... I kept the Aveo idling... and I can use all gears... on an EV conversion, you can also use clutchless method... but I prefer the keep the clutch. so "normal" folks don't have to learn anything new to drive this EV.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast