•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text Messaging Car Accident

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Text Messaging Car Accident

Public service massage is way to graphic.

Video - Text Messaging Car Accident

here are the facts.

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Texting Statistics

•Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
      •Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
      •56% of teenagers admit to talking on their cell phones behind the wheel, while 13% admit to texting while driving. (Note: Because this information was given voluntarily by teens, actual cell phone use numbers may be much higher.)
      •48% of young Americans from 12-17 say they've been in a car while the driver was texting.
      •52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers confess to making and answering cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving.
      •In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
      •Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving tires, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
      •Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
      •Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
      •Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
      •Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident Information for All Drivers

•Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of cars accidents.
      •One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
      •In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
      •At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
      •4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
      •Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
      •People who text while driving are 23% more likely to be in a car accident.
      •A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73% talk on cell phones while driving. The same 2007 survey found that 19% of motorists say they text message while driving.
      •In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 10% of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
      •A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
      •In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
      •According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18% slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17% longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked
      •Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85% said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30% use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27% use them during half or more of the trips they take.
      •84% of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
      •The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
      •The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
      •Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

Study Reveals the Dangers of Texting While Driving
      The following statistics come from a study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI):

•Of all cell phone related tasks - including talking, dialing, or reaching for the phone - texting while driving is the most dangerous.
      •Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near crash events directly related to talking on a cell phone or texting.
      •A car driver dialing a cell phone is 2.8 times more likely to get into a crash than a non-distracted driver.
      •A driver reaching for a cell phone or any other electronic device is 1.4 times more likely to experience a car crash.
      •A car driver talking on their phone is 1.3 times more likely to get into an accident.
      •A truck driver texting while driving is 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident than a trucker paying full attention to the road.
      •A truck driver dialing a cell is 5.9 times more likely to crash.
      •A trucker reaching for a phone or other device is 6.7 times more likely to experience a truck accident.
      •For every 6 seconds of drive time, a driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 of those seconds with their eyes off the road. This makes texting the most distracting of all cell phone related tasks.

Audi tires Acura tires BMW tires Buick tires Cadillac tires Chevrolet tires Dodge tires Ford tires GMC tires Honda tires Infiniti tires Isuzu tires Jaguar tires Jeep tires Kia tires Land Rover tires Lexus tires Lincoln tires Mazda tires Mercedes Benz tires Mitsubishi tires Nissan tires Oldsmobile tires Plymouth tires Pontiac tires Porsche tires Saab tires Saturn tires Subaru tires Toyota tires VW tires Volvo tires
      Audi wheels Acura wheels BMW wheels Buick wheels Cadillac wheels Chevrolet wheels Dodge wheels Ford wheels GMC wheels Honda wheels Infiniti wheels Isuzu wheels Jaguar wheels Jeep wheels Kia wheels Land Rover wheels Lexus wheels Lincoln wheels Mazda wheels Mercedes Benz wheels Mitsubishi wheels Nissan wheels Oldsmobile wheels Plymouth wheels Pontiac wheels Porsche wheels Saab wheels Saturn wheels Subaru wheels Toyota wheels VW wheels Volvo wheels wheels RC cars tires information truck tires

Last edited by gary0006; 02-03-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Text Messaging Car Accident

im innocent, i love people who read books while they drive though

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Wow, kind of an eye-opener. I don't personally text and drive, but know plenty of people who do. That's a sad video man...
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Anyone caught texting and driving should lose their license for a year. Who, in their right mind, think they can drive while not looking at the road, is a complete idiot.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

I personally agree with the whole pay attention to driving. The way i drive you can't really do anything else.

I know a lot of people who need to "find things to do" while they drive somewhere, like having control of a car is second priority when your behind the wheel. That attitude scares me.

I drive far for my commute when i do have to go.. and i have seen everything from the typical phone call (who are they talking to? i cant stand being for more than a few minutes, they talk on the phone the whole time they are in the car) to seeing people painting their toe nails, and other couples activities..

i wonder how much of a distraction that is..

funny thing is though that whole report the words phone texting and etc could be changed to radio and rock and roll and it would look like a report from the early 60s.. haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      funny thing is though that whole report the words phone texting and etc could be changed to radio and rock and roll and it would look like a report from the early 60s.. haha.
      Not all of us were around for the 60's buddy...you're showing your age Keith. Haha

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

http://driveniceday.org/ Good site to check out as well.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i wasn't alive in the 60s either..

Thanks

I don't text or talk on the phone when driving.

But I can say that the most dangerous thing I've done while driving in the last year is using a GPS while driving. The problem was I didn't have a route pre-programmed, which would have been safer. I was winging it - zooming in and out, trying to find roads going the way I wanted to go while rolling.

When I realized how much attention it was stealing from the road, I said: never doing that again!!

Surprised that's not in the list of driver distractions.
      ---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      i wasn't alive in the 60s either..
      Haha, just givin' ya' **** bud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast