•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to choose a shop (This is long)

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thank you jimzdat. I understand your problems and would encourage you to continue on the way you are going.

Thanks
      Good thread, TR.

Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post

Ask around. Your friends and coworkers probably know of an honest shop that does good work.
      I do almost all my own maintenance/repairs, unless (A) something breaks in the middle of winter and I don't feel like freezing while dealing with it, or (B) it needs a specialized tool or a vehicle lift. (If I can't easily do it on ramps/jack stands, I'm out.)

But after using several independent shops, I found a shop owner I trust. This shop doesn't make a lot of money from me personally because I DIY, but over the years I've sent many friends and family his way and he knows it. As a result, I think I get treated even better when I do show up with my own vehicle once every year or so.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

But after using several independent shops, I found a shop owner I trust. This shop doesn't make a lot of money from me personally because I DIY, but over the years I've sent many friends and family his way and he knows it. As a result, I think I get treated even better when I do show up with my own vehicle once every year or so.

Yes, loyalty is generally rewarded.

Thanks
      FYI Everyone - The latest stats I got are for every 4.5 guys leaving the trade, only 1 is coming in. All you D.I.Y guys should train to go pro.

Thanks
      You know things are interesting when the local Toyota dealer has paid, twice, to run a full page colour ad in the local newspaper looking for one new tech.

Thanks
      Late to the party, but a cool post. When I was a real 'pro' at mark Christopher Chevrolet in the late 80's the shop labor rate was a whopping $45 an hour. Gee how times have changed! The point I wanted to make, is even back then (pre internet!) - the interest in the mechanic trade was VERY weak, it just was not the hot thing back then, people told me I was wasting my time learning that stuff. Now I can see how this has gone full circle and evolved into a glut of good talent. Hell, most high schools in my state don't even have an auto shop class. Heck MY old high school no longer has an auto shop class. Seems to be a vanishing skill set to say the least. I hung up my career in mechanics after 4 short years, as I was told something new was about to spring onto the world, and that I would get more pay and less harsher working conditions and jumped on it when I could. I still love working on cars today, I never got into it as a 'money making career' I just liked cars. Hence I saw that my marketing potential was limited. As on old fart, I would strongly suggest young people get into the industry, especially if you like working on cars. There should be no shortage of work anyway!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      Late to the party, but a cool post. When I was a real 'pro' at mark Christopher Chevrolet in the late 80's the shop labor rate was a whopping $45 an hour. Gee how times have changed! The point I wanted to make, is even back then (pre internet!) - the interest in the mechanic trade was VERY weak, it just was not the hot thing back then, people told me I was wasting my time learning that stuff. Now I can see how this has gone full circle and evolved into a glut of good talent. Hell, most high schools in my state don't even have an auto shop class. Heck MY old high school no longer has an auto shop class. Seems to be a vanishing skill set to say the least. I hung up my career in mechanics after 4 short years, as I was told something new was about to spring onto the world, and that I would get more pay and less harsher working conditions and jumped on it when I could. I still love working on cars today, I never got into it as a 'money making career' I just liked cars. Hence I saw that my marketing potential was limited. As on old fart, I would strongly suggest young people get into the industry, especially if you like working on cars. There should be no shortage of work anyway!
      As vehicles evolve, DIY will become less and less of an option. With fewer guys entering the trade, the labour costs will escalate to the point car ownership will be unaffordable except for the very rich. It will force everybody to live in high density cities and use transit systems whether they want to or not.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      As vehicles evolve, DIY will become less and less of an option. With fewer guys entering the trade, the labour costs will escalate to the point car ownership will be unaffordable except for the very rich. It will force everybody to live in high density cities and use transit systems whether they want to or not.
      I think we may already be past this line, at least when it comes to maintenance/repair costs, look at any 'new car' and the writing on the wall is pretty clear, these 'safety traps' will be very, VERY expensive to own - just as soon as the warranty expires. Hell, just an air bag deployment can push a car's repair cost above the value of the entire car, placing it in the 'total loss' column.

Personal automotive transportation has been on a slow twisted morph from independent free travel, into fly-by-wire, OnStar telematics, 10 air bags, and hundreds of other mandated safety/nanny widgets that equate into 4,000 pound econobox 'compact' cars that get less gas mileage than many older cars. So much for value for your money, it's all about 'safety' and on-board Internet now. Question is, what do they do when the warranty expires in a few years? Get that wallet out! My strategy is to hold onto my old iron, maintain them and drive them till the day driving a 'vintage car' is outlawed by the powers that should not be. They will have to pry my carburetor's out of my cold dead hands! lol

More on the fun of new cars...
      Some New Car Things to Know - EPautos

Thanks
      Amen to that 06T200! I just picked up an '88 F250 4x4 that I plan to retrofit with a carb and a Davis Unified Igniton HEI system and drive until they take my licence away due to age.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12