•  
    Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      wouldnt there be a clicking noise or something all i can hear is the starter

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Not always. Mine made no sound, but I had 4 bent valves, 2 intake and 2 exhaust on Cylinders 2 and 3. 0 compression when I rand a compression test.

Thanks
      ok ty i gotta tow it back to my house tomorrow and run the test and go from there

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Good luck. I know a good shop here in Phoenix where I get all of my head work done at.
      Let me know if you need his information.
      I know it a long ways away, but he use to do top fuelers until he retired. Now he is only open 2 or 3 days a week.
      He loves what he does.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You said you were just short of red line when the tensioner broke. If it were mine, I would skip the head and look for a new engine instead. But I'm just a DIY amature mechanic, and that's JMHO. Good luck, regardless how you choose to go with it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Good point. When you remove the head, make sure and inspect your pistons. You may have put a valve through at least one of them.

Thanks
      so i did a compression test today and 1 and 2 had nothing i stopped there so looks like i will have to take the head off and see what happened and what i can save im starting a thread if anyone wants to keep tabs

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi.. new here. 07 aveo... Really great guide. Im considering doing my own timing belt thanks to this but have a couple questions.
      In the last step of tensioning the belt it says:

"...relieve tension until pointer A aligns exactly with pointer B. Tighten up the water pump bolts. You are done!"

My questions is, after that step, should the marks on the new belt once again line up with the notch and camshaft pulley marks?

Also, Im thinking of getting a timing belt kit with water pump to replace the old components so..
      Is it easy to remove the old components (tensioner, idler, etc) and install the new ones? And is the oil pump in that general area, should I inspect it and how?
      And what about the thermostat, is it there..should it be inspected/replaced?

Thanks for any help
      Last edited by lalahaha1; 03-10-2013 at 12:25 AM.

What's wrong with my car? Dr. Strangelove's Avatar
      Thanks
      i just did my 2008 timing belt, idlers, and water pump yesterday. when i adjusted the tension by rotating the water pump until the pointers coincided, the cam gear timing marks dial back into line. i rotated the engine from the crankshaft pulley 2 revolutions and checked that the cam gear timing marks were opposite each other with the crank timing mark on the tdc mark.

it took 5 hours working at a leisurely pace and taking breaks.

my owner's manual calls for a new timing belt at 60,000 miles. the car had 68,000 miles on it and the timing belt looked good. i could still read the red markings on the flat side and there was only a tiny bit of fraying of the teeth on the very edges.

due to the distructive nature of a belt breaking, it was cheap insurance. i located a gates timing belt kit with the water pump on ebay for $100.76 delivered, spent another $20 locally for a new serpentine belt, and about $12 for new antifreeze.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lalahaha1 View Post
      Hi.. new here. 07 aveo... Really great guide. Im considering doing my own timing belt thanks to this but have a couple questions.
      In the last step of tensioning the belt it says:

"...relieve tension until pointer A aligns exactly with pointer B. Tighten up the water pump bolts. You are done!"

My questions is, after that step, should the marks on the new belt once again line up with the notch and camshaft pulley marks?

Also, Im thinking of getting a timing belt kit with water pump to replace the old components so..
      Is it easy to remove the old components (tensioner, idler, etc) and install the new ones? And is the oil pump in that general area, should I inspect it and how?
      And what about the thermostat, is it there..should it be inspected/replaced?

Thanks for any help
      This DIY was done for a 2006, and I know the job is essentially the same for 04-06. I also know there are significant changes to the timing belt setup on the newer Aveos, and the timing belt change interval has been upped to 100K miles.
      But I don't know where the '07 fits into all of this. So, before you using this guide, hopefully someone who knows for sure will post if this guide works 100% for an '07. Same for the Tstat. The plastic housing on the earlier years is garbage and should be replaced. But if your '07 has the metal one, there's no need to replace it until the stat itself goes bad.

Edit: Just read the next post on the '08, which probably means your '07 will also be able to use this same DIY.

Last edited by avguy; 03-10-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast