•  
    Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Did you check to make sure the pointer mechanism on the tensioner pulley moves all the way to the overlapped position if you push on it with your fingers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

nostromo (10-24-2016)

Thanks
      You won't be able to push hard enough, I tried did not work.Name:  IMG_1614.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  202.3 KB

Thanks
      I couldn't mark the belt so I had to put it back on by hand. Wasn't really that hard but when I cut the belt I messed up the delicate tensioner. It's plastic and a tiny spring on the inside. Had the same promblem with the pointer not moving but a fresh tensioner and it was a peice of cake. Car is still running strong despite punishment of being staticName:  IMG_1466.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  321.0 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      so I did the job. starts fine and accelerates fine, but the car now jerks a bit when sitting still in drive. does the same in park but much less. when I am actually driving though it feels fine. could this be because of something wrong with the timing belt job I just did? say I was off a tooth, could that cause this?

I had the throttle body exposed to open air for a week or so, maybe moisture in the engine could cause this? what you guys think?

Thanks
      Im sure if you was a tooth it wouldn't keep running. Check the trans fluid. The moisture in the throttle body wouldn't cause something like that, not sure I drive a manual

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nostromo View Post
      ...the car now jerks a bit when sitting still in drive. does the same in park but much less....
      Did you torque all (on both parts) of the motor mount bolts and nuts to spec? Also, on the same subject, how about the harmonic balancer bolt?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Did you torque all (on both parts) of the motor mount bolts and nuts to spec? Also, on the same subject, how about the harmonic balancer bolt?
      85 ft lb on harmonic balancer, the motor mounts as tight as I could go by hand. Should I have another go with a breaker bar? Im sure I got it to at least the 50 it calls for. Could this be caused by overtightening?

Thanks
      so after driving for roughly 10km the car died. I restarted I and drove it home, died halfway home, restarted it again and put it in the parking lot. I have no idea what is wrong.

think im just going to take it to a mechanic. if I drove it there could I damage the engine?
      Last edited by nostromo; 10-24-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
      I used a battery impact with built in torque settings. Wish you could post a pic of your lines on the cams

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nostromo View Post
      so after driving for roughly 10km the car died. I restarted I and drove it home, died halfway home, restarted it again and put it in the parking lot. I have no idea what is wrong. think im just going to take it to a mechanic. if I drove it there could I damage the engine?

I'm puzzled by what you wrote about tightening the bolts. You said 85 on the harmonic balancer (which should actually be 70 + torque-to-angles of 30 and 15). Did you pin the flywheel in order to get the 85? And, if you used a torque wrench on that bolt, why not also on the motor mount bolts? How about the timing belt components - did you use a torque wrench on those? Hopefully you did, because the timing belt is not a good place for guesswork.

Unless you can determine that it's something else, the possibility exists that something is wrong in the timing belt loop. Therefore, with the further possibility of it getting worse and trashing valves, I'd recommend you have it towed instead of starting it again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

nostromo (10-25-2016)

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast