•  
    Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      A 2008 is a 1st generation. They have much more fragile timing belt related pieces. Unfortunately a lot of owners find out about the 60,000 mile change after its too late.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi, I just finished doing the timing belt on my girlfriends aveo. All went well. I started running the engine to circulate the coolant, and slowly a rubbing sound turned up. It increased until I turned the engine off. I checked under the belt cover, and the belt has worked its way off the centre of the pulleys, away from the outer cover. I put brand new tensioner and idler, and I was pretty happy with how they were sitting. Could it be the water pump? What do you suggest I do?

Thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      First check to see that the 3 allen bolts of the WP are all torqued correctly (best done with an inch torque wrench), and that the tension is still corect (i.e. pointers align). If those are ok, then the other possibilities that come to mind are a defective part, debris stuck in the belt, or one of the other parts not torqued down flat to the block.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Many thanks for this write-up. You were very through. just got my belt done a couple days ago using this. much better then the instructions from All-data i printed off from work.

Thanks
      I have the 09 Chevrolet Aveo LS with the goofy cam please can you tell me if these are the actual timing marks

Thanks
      I have the 09 Chevy Aveo LS and its got the goofy cam pulleys here's a photo are these the actual timing marks
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
      I like your detail and instructional write up and was wondering if there is a book like this i could have so i can do evrything else that needs worked on thanks

Thanks

more timing and water pump info

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      When I did this I followed some advice by a master tech that ended up with me having a timing belt off and the motor spun so I wasn't sure of timing.

After having a minor breakdown I called one of my best friends who talked me off the ledge (metaphorically of course).

He basically instructed me to find cylinder one (far left side of engine bay-aka Passenger side) and with the spark plug out lower a slim item that won't damage anything (I used a wooden dowel) spin the motor until cylinder 1 is TDC with the timing marks aligned. If you are uncertain you can mark the dowel and compare the depth to the other 3 cylinders. If I recall cylinder 1 and 3 are both at TDC simultaneously.

Jut thought I would share that tidbit and everything came back together fine after that without issues since.

ALSO- be patient and order the water pump wrench or at least spend time with decent materials fabricating one....this was a real time waster for me as I nearly ruined a water pump trying to adjust it with improper tools.

And take it easy on the radiator stopcock, it can be a pain but with finesse the plastic wont break on you.

Thanks
      Had the dealer do mine and they removed the valve cover to get another cover off as they said trying to get the water pump out of a small hole in timing cover was almost impossible. Just something to keep in mind. They tore the gasket as I had replaced it and sealed around the spark plug towers with RTV as the factory gasket had leaked oil into spark plug wells and fouled a few plugs. The gasket design for the spark plug wells is kind of poor and having the wells extend above the valve cover and sealing around them would have prevented oil from leaking down into the spark plug wells.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast