•  
    Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I changed mine after it broke while my wife was driving it and of course most of the valves were bent. I ground some new ones in replaced the head gasket, bought a new belt kit which included new pulleys and water pump. The water pump has to be turned to tighten the belt with a special tool which I made out of a piece of steel channel. Simply line the marks up on the tappet rotors and the one on the end of the crankshaft has mark which is set at 6 o'clock turn the water pump and set the mark on the pulley to sign up. It started right up after I had put everything together except no. 3 cylinder misfires, the compression is 180 pounds, the injectors have been cleaned in a sonic tank and I checked the pulses going to the injectors on an oscilloscope. The injector resistance is 12.5 ohms. I have changed the spark plugs for auto lite copper and that appears to be getting a good spark. I'm puzzled, any ideas anybody. I changed the crankshaft sensor and checked the camshaft sensor all ok.

Thanks
      could be the injector seal if you didn't replace them. check plugs for cross-threaded, majesure coil pack and plug wires snap connect.

how did you grind valves?
      RR - 2006 Aveo 1.6litre LT 5sp

Thanks
      After 3 afternoons I just finished and test drove. I had a clicking noise at first that someone else mentioned but it went away. I have not noticed any odd idling or sluggish acceleration aside from the 90 Hp sluggishness we are already used to a big thank you to the writer of the guide and all the solid advice in the thread. I was tight on cash and I saved about 400-500 dollars! Never in a million years did I think I could do something like this. Muchas Gracias cheers thanks guys time for a cold beer

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rrb6699 View Post
      could be the injector seal if you didn't replace them. check plugs for cross-threaded, majesure coil pack and plug wires snap connect.

how did you grind valves?
      I ground them in by hand, the old fashioned way. The 4 cylinders have around 180 pounds so the valves are tight. It is very doubtful to be the injector because I took all four off had them cleaned but didn't note their original position so if it was a seal then the odds are another cylinder would be affected. Although there is a very good spark it appears that can only be the problem. Thank you for your input.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I put in a new timing belt a couple weeks ago. The car has been down for tons of other repairs as well. However, I noticed a rhythmic growling coming from the timing belt area during my test drive tonight. I'm not going to have to tear into it again am I?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Here are two videos of the noises.

This is one where I pried the top timing cover open slightly. You can hear some kind of rattling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgY...ature=youtu.be

This one is beside the timing cover. You can hear a rhythmic noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLFL...ature=youtu.be

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well I tore back into it... Turns out the new water pump is junk. With it off the car I can rotate it in my hand and it whines. UGH!!

Thanks
      where did you get the water pump? what brand is it?

if you tore everything apart and are not sure of the rollers or tensioner change them all again. that way you know for sure everything has zero miles on it for this maintenance cycle.
      Last edited by rrb6699; 12-07-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: sp
      RR - 2006 Aveo 1.6litre LT 5sp

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Dura International brand got it on Amazon. I am replacing everything. I also noticed a cam shaft seal is leaking so I am replacing seals as well.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      How are you guys tightening the camshaft sprockets without removing the valve covers? I have a plastic camshaft holding tool, but it definitely doesn't withstand 49 ft/lbs of force.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast