•  
    Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

Thanks
      Needed to change the water pump. but when I put the timing belt back, my timing marks are all off. I thought I was careful putting the belt on. don't know how the camshafts got changed.
      anyway, I couldn't work on it due to darkness.

what do I need to do to set them back in synch?

RR - 2006 Aveo 1.6litre LT 5sp

Thanks
      If you look on the forum there are links to download the service manual. It will show you how to align everything properly.

Thanks
      I got them lined up. but, my nephew already bent the intake valves. I wasn't getting any compression so removed the valve cover and 5 intake valves not touching the cam.

gonna remove the head this weekend. any shortcuts to this or is it as bad as it seems. I did a 32 valve engine before but never this engine. does the "E" in etech stand for "expendible".
      I was gonna ask if there were other non-etech engines that fit in a 2005 Aveo?

Thanks
      If i was you, I would try to find a wrecked Aveo in a junkyard and use that head. Aveos in my local junkyard get picked clean. Most of the things I've replace or add comes from the junkyard anyways

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I'll sell you my old motor (153k and needs a new timing belt but still runs-1 tooth off and needs a TB replacement) for $250 OBO

Thanks
      ok, the guy who was with him says the car was never started. this was just a crank to move timing marks. not a high speed or driving failure. whats wrong with reworking the head and having a shop do the valves? this head is good. he just bent 5 intake valves.

??

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Is it critical to line up the cam gears and crankshaft perfectly before I put the timing belt on? The left and right cam gears have their marks pointing one tooth up and the other one tooth down from the center. Do I need to correct this?

Also, when I attempt to tighten the belt up using the water pump, the notch on the tensioner doesnt budge. I tighten up the belt as much as I could until the water pump won't turn any more, and the notch doesn't move. However, the belt feels very tight.

Advice greatly appreciated.. going out of my mind trying to fix this thing all day. I should also say the I had been rotating individual cam gears independently in complete revolutions to try lining up marks, this doesnt mean I bent any valves, does it? I made sure that the crank shaft was pointing straight down when I did this.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Yes, the marks need to align perfectly. The tensioner arrow should move as you tighten the belt when rotating the water pump. Turn the crank 360 at least 3 times and visually check your marks to verify everything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to djmarch For This Useful Post:

nostromo (10-24-2016)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      so nothing should be bent right?

weird how I tightened the water pump until it won't turn anymore and the notch on the tensioner still doesn't budge. any ideas?

Thanks
      Buy a new automatic tensioner almost grenaded my engine by breaking the bolts to the block that whole the inner mount. I put fresh everything when that happened just in case the old one was bad. Maxed out on coilovers. That's why they broke

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast