•  

Thread: Steering wheel removal

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Steering wheel removal

anyone know how to remove the steering wheel air bag?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Steering wheel removal

there are two bolts/screws in the back of the wheel. your will feel holes.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Steering wheel removal

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you unplug it. . .
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      Another thing that the service manual makes a great deal about is that the vehicle is designed so that disconnecting various harnesses on the SIR system will cause shorting bars to engage and literally "short out" the airbags and/or seat belt tensioners. I suggest that if you are going to remove an air bag that you consider installing a jumper on the bag terminals to "short" it out too.

The spark from a static electric charge is at least 30,000 volts, and it is conceivable that this could cause the airbag to deploy, and the results of that could potentially be lethal. "Shorting" out the airbag is intended to prevent this. (This is also the reason that you would want to wear a grounding strap if you are going to handle any computerized circuitry.)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Sounds like its a bad idea to mess with it! I hate airbags, they scare tha hell out of me, I T-BONE a guy once at about 35mph(his fault btw), the bag did not deployed, and I'm glad it didn't, I had my seat belt and my forearms to take the hit, they handle it just fine, I've seen people get hurt pretty bad by airbags, especialy the early ones that deployed more violentely than the later versions. I would rather not have them on...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ive replaced a lot of air bags, they are nothing to be scared of, just make sure they dont have power going to them when you work with them.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      mine are coming out, ill take my chances

Thanks
      I wouldn't be afraid of the airbags, just be careful with them! Just a few common sense things like making sure that you keep the airbag facing away from you when you handle it; don't set them face down on any surface and never set a steering column with a live airbag down on the steering wheel rim but lay the column on its side instead.

Also, American spec airbags are larger and deploy with more force than their European counterparts...just a little thing I picked up off of Wikipedia that I found interesting!

Thanks
      As long as you disconnect the battery, and pull out the fuses for the air bags and let it sit for like half hour they will not go off. I just removed mine form my 08 aveo and had no problem!I unplugged them straight from the Airbag computer which was located under the handbrake!!! this caused for the airbag light to come on but in order for that to go off, you have have to unplug the thick yellow wire running through the hole car, which is hooked up to a plug just behind the stereo! if u need more info message me!