•  

Thread: Removing Window Tint

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Removing Window Tint

Has anyone removed tint from their car windows before? Is it hard to do, or a total mess and leave it to the professionals? Mine is 6 years old, it is not bubbling up, it isnt turning purple, it isnt falling off, but it is faded out a lot from the Fla,. sun, and I want to get limo tint all around on it ASAP. BUT ever place i call wants over $150 to do the job, and 50% of the cost is the removal of the old tint.

I know to NOT put on the new tint, that I always get done by the pros. But to save maybe half, by taking the current tint off would help a lot! Being that it isnt falling off or in bad shape, it is high grade tint, will it be to hard to take off on my own? I really want to remove it if i can. What chemical would I use, how do you do it? Will it just peel off in one sheet, since it is in such good shape? The back hatch I wont try to remove, and remove the window defroster! But if it is a simple job to remove, I want to try...so..anyone have some tips on how to do it, or am I better off letting the pros do it?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you should be able to do all the widows easily by yourself except the rear because of the defroster lines..

often if you soak it with soap, start an edge, is will peel off like the sticker it is. And like some stickers it will take forever to peel it all off. scrape it gently with a razor blade UNDER the tint, the scrape the glass clean with a lot of soapy water. Then clean it with a towel, and reclean it with steel wool and soapy water..

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Try this method apply soapy detergent water to the window with a sponge, and cover with newspaper leave it for about an hour reapply the soapy water to the paper every 20 minutes or so to keep the moisture seeping through, with a razor blade simply scrape off the top layer of the tint film with long strokes. Just simply reapply the soapy about half an hour if the top layer doesn't come off in long strips. A friend of mine who is a window tint expert had taught me about this trick

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      i used a heat gun and credit card, then used brake cleaner to get the sticky off. why did i do this? someone jerk wad in toronto who probably lives off wellfare and the rewards he gets from being a theif bust the read passenger window on my girlfriends crappy 02 hyaundai enlantra GT, the dumb@$$ didnt realize it had an alarm snatched my back pack, dumped the contents and grabbed my first gen ipod nano that doesnt work. so more or less he cost me 70$ and got a broken ipod. i went to wreckers, got new glass, did the above steps and put the new window in. which by the way is a pain in the butt to do. now if by chance one of you on here is one of these said jerk wads that break into vehicles, do the forum a favor and give your self a swift kick in the nuts.
      Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

Kyo
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I used an eraser and soapy water.

1. remove the tint film
      2. erase the sticky area(you cant remove, but sticky area takes dust of eraser and it will be easy to remove them after)
      3. put soapy water
      4. erase the sticky area

and repeat!