•  

Thread: Rearview Camera

Geo
      I'll keep it and add a turbo Geo's Avatar
      Thanks

Rearview Camera

Does anyone have on and if so, how was the install?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      put a cheap one my 2010. it was really easy. I didn't have a license plate one, so I self tapped it into the under side of the truck ledge, where the license plate lights are, just above the license plate. the camera comes with a short power cable that you can run to the reverse light of the vehicle. it also comes with a single video (yellow RCA) cable that plugs into your head unit. I did have a problem with mine in that the head unit expects to get a single to signify when the vehicle is in reverse. I never found the reverse sense cable, but I heard you can just splice it into the reverse light cable like you would do with the power for the camera. but other than that, it was a snap. only took about 15 mins.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      My dad helped me put a rear view camera in my '09 hatch. We put it on the hatch door, above the license plate. The biggest pain was getting the wire through the rubber hose (the one that protects the OEM wiring that goes to the hatch door). We got it through, and one of the wires came out of the connector end. My dad tried to splice the wire, and the camera still didn't work. The new plan is to put his Camaro's old camera on the Aveo, but put it somewhere below the door. I just wished that it was easier to go through that protective hose where all the other wires are, because we were able to drill the hole to bring the wiring for the camera behind the hatch's "tailgate handle". Here are the pics of the hose and where we drilled the hole for the wiring.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Geo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMike View Post
      My dad helped me put a rear view camera in my '09 hatch. We put it on the hatch door, above the license plate. The biggest pain was getting the wire through the rubber hose (the one that protects the OEM wiring that goes to the hatch door). We got it through, and one of the wires came out of the connector end. My dad tried to splice the wire, and the camera still didn't work. The new plan is to put his Camaro's old camera on the Aveo, but put it somewhere below the door. I just wished that it was easier to go through that protective hose where all the other wires are, because we were able to drill the hole to bring the wiring for the camera behind the hatch's "tailgate handle". Here are the pics of the hose and where we drilled the hole for the wiring.
      Wow! Never would've thought of it that way. I wonder why it did not work

Geo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serug View Post
      put a cheap one my 2010. it was really easy. I didn't have a license plate one, so I self tapped it into the under side of the truck ledge, where the license plate lights are, just above the license plate. the camera comes with a short power cable that you can run to the reverse light of the vehicle. it also comes with a single video (yellow RCA) cable that plugs into your head unit. I did have a problem with mine in that the head unit expects to get a single to signify when the vehicle is in reverse. I never found the reverse sense cable, but I heard you can just splice it into the reverse light cable like you would do with the power for the camera. but other than that, it was a snap. only took about 15 mins.
      Cool man. I have the double din monitor that I can hook the camera up to and I was going to use the reverse sense cable. I guess I have to find the cable somehow

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
      Wow! Never would've thought of it that way. I wonder why it did not work
      My guess would be the way that my dad tried to fix the wiring. I've rechecked the power and ground a few times, and they appear fine. I hope we can get another look at the camera tomorrow. If we do switch the camera, I don't want to screw with the hatch again. On top of going through that hose, we had to deal with the headliner. Here's the damaged wire.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Geo
      Thanks
      Ok, so you spliced and soldered the wires? I have a double din radio and it has a connection wire that you splice into. I was going to run it from where you told me to the front.

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  294.0 KB

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  289.7 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Does anyone have an update on this? I am a complete noob who is willing to learn this and install this myself, so far I've a cheap-ish headunit and the rear view camera, waiting for the wiring harness and the Double DIN dashkit to arrive, but I am curious about the camera wiring connection. In theory it all makes sense, but I am not so sure about where to find/which wire to splice in the tail light.

Did someone ever figure out the reverse sense wire? I did find this thread: https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/...-camera-15292/ and as awesome as @jbourassa is, I am still a little confused as a beginner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Luke380; 05-05-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typing error