•  

Thread: Radio no display

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Radio no display

Hi I’m looking at purchasing a 2011 Aveo but the radio display is out, radio works. Anything I can try at the dealership before I buy it? Fuse?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      it's easy ask them to fix before buying it. OR ask them to take 200 bucks off
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you hold the led light up to the display and the refraction of light shows the letters, then the back light is burned out.
      Any issue is internal to the radio itself.

A used radio off eBay can be had cheap enough, it's easier to buy a new radio unit than trying to fix it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thank you for the tip. I noticed that the clock display area right below the windshield also isn't functioning, could that be related? Fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if you hold the led light up to the display and the refraction of light shows the letters, then the back light is burned out.
      Any issue is internal to the radio itself.

A used radio off eBay can be had cheap enough, it's easier to buy a new radio unit than trying to fix it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the radio memory and clock memory do share a fuse. However the LCD displays are separate, you could check the fuses before proceeding any further. But will LCD displays, the conditions that make them fail would be preset for both. Typically frequent use in extreme cold conditions, being from New Hampshire I would assume your car has suffered from bitter cold. Even my audi had issues with the display when it was -10 degrees.. luckily over the time I had it, only a few pixels burned out. But I know the display was struggling because of the "burn in" when the display would try to change.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Totally agree, your radio display issue will be something internal to the radio (the fact that you can play music and change stations, etc) points to the radio itself. From my experience a lot of these LCD panels use conductive strips that have a tendency to lose contact between the display and PC board.
      The clock display will be something different (possibly a fuse, especially if you have lost the whole panel!).
      Not sure about a 2011, but my 05 clock also has the headlight, DRL, Check engine, etc lights within the same unit. Do any of these come on when you turn the ignition key? If not could definitely point to a fuse/connector.

if your CEL is in the same panel as your clock, I would definitely have your mechanic check for any possible codes (OBDII), as this light would be disabled as well.
      I would think a used car dealer would look for these issues before resale, maybe I'm just too paranoid

If it is a fuse issue and your clock works, put a piece of clear tape on the fuse blade and bring it back to the dealer and ask for a discount for the non-working clock! you should get something for your efforts!

Cheers