•  

Thread: Power steering pressure line fail!!!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Power steering pressure line fail!!!

So I was driving to my girls house today minding my own buisness when all of a sudden Karen(my aveo) starts to make a bad rubbing noise and its loud. I pull into the median pop the hood and look. What i see is a dark fluid sprayed everywhere I look under the car and already there is a huge puddle. I run back to the car and shut it off my first thought I hit something and tore a hole in my oil pan. Upon 20 minutes and 10 fluid checks later I find out its powersteering fluid. I find that the belt wore a hole through my powersteering pressure line. (08 aveo hatch). I am now home after a billion and a half phone calls getting someone to pull me home and the part order(lucky for me I work at a parts store so its only 30$ for the line, 8$ for the new belt which I was planning on replacing as I just ordered a underdrive pulley.) My question which looks as if I am the only one that has had this happen is how do I prevent that from ever happening again without the redneck bailing wire or duct tape. Any and all ideas would be appreciated amazingly.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i would make sure the line was properly routed and attached to all the points, even a slight tightening of the line will move it.

When you put the new one n, just verify it has a clear route, then tighten down all the contacts.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ya I figured that much but what could of suddenly causes that?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      bad motor mount?

any recent work done under the hood?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Nope motor mounts are good and no recent work just bought the underdeive pulley it got here today. But other than the things I added on It'd been a couple weeks. I think she got jealous and threw a fit Ha ha ha seriously though I carpulled with a buddy to work got off got in my car started heading to my girls house and bam!!!! Well good news I got the hose made by a company here only cost 25$ cuz my day sold the Guy 20-5 gallon jugs of water at a good price cuz he is dead set on the end of the world but in today's economy who can blame the Guy anyways and I put it on then found out the belt is too week given its missing half the ribs and wasn't working and also is there a gasket between the powersterring pressure line and the pump cuz it started leaking right after I shut the car off. If so I would love to know that way I can get it and the belt Friday(payday). Oh so how I fixed the line I did a little math and figured if I told the Guy who made it to take a inch and a half off the line it would work and sure enough it does its about 2 1/2 inches away from the belt!
      Last edited by McGrinnan; 08-09-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Sounds like you have it fixed, the lines usually go in sort of like a break line, at least the high pressure side, the other is ok being clamp style high pressure hose.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      This just happened to me, exactly the same thing, and car. I noticed the line rubbing a while back (shortly after my bumper to bumper warranty ran out actually) It was not getting worse so I left it be. I just had my timing belt and water pump, along with the serpintine belt. I guess this leaves the questions, Do I need another belt, and how hard would this be to do myself on a possibly chilly day? To the OP if you read this and have any pics of what you had to take apart and put back together, that would be appreciated.

Update, just looked it over, not going to be hard too hard to do.
      Last edited by daug1502; 03-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      No its really easy just chopped the line about 2 inches shorter and it worked so much better. I also took the opportunity to change to royal purple power steering fluid makes flying through corners really easily.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      just be glad your PS Fluid didn't touch the Exhaust, my old car (1998 Plymouth Breeze) had the Return hose running RIGHT OVER the Exhaust manifold; and if that line were to ever burst, my EasyBreeze would have become Extra Crispy!