•  
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Change on an Aveo

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Oil Change on an Aveo

The cold does tend to make bushings and "biscuts" crack more easily, but I was taught that when I lived in Florida. you could have your whole front end greased in the time it takes for all the oil to drain and it's a good habit that could save you a lot of money later. Cuz seriously, who remembers to grease their front-end? lol

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

no pun intended ^

Thanks

Didn't even think of that you perv

Thanks

Haha well you said.... grease your front end... not me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atcovan
      Quote Originally Posted by gsills
      all the money you saved on the oil change will go to the tow truck as it looks like your parked in a painted spot...

Now that's funny!
      PS Fighting Irish... has your mileage improved?
      So the stats are in- for the life of the car so far @25,154 miles, I've acheived 30.84mpg. I drive in the city 44%, highway 56%.

While using Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30, I acheived an average over 5000 miles of 32.83mpg. So initially, it would appear that it does get better mileage... however, take the following into consideration:

-the first 10,000 miles, the engine was still being broken IMO- I was averaging 29.71mpg during the first 10k miles.
      -the next 10k miles, I averaged 31.07mpg. If you compare this to the 32.83mpg that I acheived while using the 0w30, it is a 5.6% increase in fuel economy. However, during the 10k-20k mile range on my ODO, I was doing about 55% of my driving on the highway. I was driving about 66% highway mileage during the 0w30 test period.

So overall, it's pretty much a wash. It's tough to tell if it really had any effect at all, seeing as most of the first 20k miles of the car it was being driven to and from school. The past 5k miles were being driven to and from "work", a much longer drive and on the highway more. I'll know a bit better after the next 5k miles seeing as I put Mobil1 5w30 back in it and i'm doing a pretty similar drive everyday as I was during the 0w30 test period.

My best guess is about a 2% increase in MPG, a bit less than a 1mpg increase. Just by looking at the raw data (yeah I've managed to record all 84 trips to the gas station since I owned the car... can you say anal?), it seems probable that it would be between a 2-3% increase in mileage if all factors were equal. I could get all fancy and pull out some statistical formulas, but I don't have time for that. That said, if you were to run 0w30 for 100k miles, you'd pick up an extra 2k miles probably... which would save you about $200. However, the extra money spent on the oil itself would negate that if you're used to buying conventional anyways.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Irish, not a lot people have the patience to keep track of all that stuff.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I've been looking for this. No more sitting for an hour while the discount place screws around with my Aveo...

Thanks

i do my own chngs on the 06..my 2010 has a dern canister filter deal but i will do it too
      chevy messed up a good thing by chnging the canister
      .why are u using the crush washer bak in day some models use to hav a plastic deal
      but on our pans its not needed(i promise)
      and i too fancy dark beers
      has anyone tried yuenglings black & tan
      its great

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Thanks for the good write up and pics! I didn't know that the crush washer had to be changed each time the oil was changed? I've never done it, and no oil has leaked so far---so thanks for the tip on that! I use a Fram oil filter so it's easier to remove by hand (patented Sure Grip) instead of using a filter wrench.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by little monster
      Thanks for the writeup! I believe it was well done. I bought the Aveo5 since it seemed that most of the oil parts were accesible... ever try changing the oil filter on a sunfire? Ouch... all the way at the back of the engine between the firewall. My 85 trans am was the easiest oil change. I appreciate the pictures too since I learn better by seeing then reading. But several steps I never did while changing oil... drinking beer. I believe this might add some of the enjoyment into doing manual labor!
      As you mentioned, like you, the accessibility and ease of changing oil was a primary reason I bought an Aveo5. What you described with the Sunfire oil filter being underneath at the firewall is also peculiar to Hondas - and the reason I will never own one! Toyotas are also usually easy for routine maintenance, with the filter located right under the hood.

If you are skinny enough there is no need to jack up the car, you can just slide under it enough to get at the drain plug. The Aveo stands higher off the ground than a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris, so that helps, too.

I don't drink anything while I'm changing oil. I'm not very good at multitasking.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast