Thread: Install a Second Dome Light...?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Red face

Name:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  292.4 KBName:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  273.4 KB I have also pondered putting a nother light further back due to lack of lighting in the rear of my Aveo5 Hatchback. I have the factory privacy cover for the truck so the lights wouldn't help that are back there and those are only based on the door being open I believe. But same time I haven't had a MAJOR reason to put one in either. The TRUCK area on the other hand was a different story. I replaced the light with an LED bulb I got on ebay for like $5.00 and still found it to not light the truck well enough for use at night. So I found a small 6 or so LED Diode Panel light at Auto Zone which I then just wired from the existing truck light simply using the bulb holder as my connection point (theres a nice lil hole in each clip to put the wire thru, no splicing needed) and ran that wire behind the lower upholstery panels to the right side where I then poked a small hole in about that same spot as I figured best matched factory light and put the wire thru that. Connected the LED Panel to this wiring and used some extra heavy duty plastic command strip to hold the LED panel in place. Did this at least 2 years ago now and still in perfect shape and the sticky strip hasn't given up yet. Note the pictures I took with the lights on. Since I hooked it to the existing door light.. It will turn both sides on when I open the hatch. Couldn't have cost me maybe more than $20 or so for it either.

Thanks
      I used LED strip lights from E-bay/China wired with adapter to fit the festoon socket ran the strip all the way back to the hatch seal. Kids don't complain of it being dark anymore. Did same in the cargo bay ran it on the black plastic just above the cargo hooks. Now U can see into the whole area at night NO blind corners. Only issue has been the sticky stuff needs some help used fabric tack from craft store just a few drops and it has stayed up solid for the last few months.

Should I keep it? Merlins_Holden's Avatar
      Thanks
      I would install a second daewoo oem map light, just get one from the junk yard. Make a template from your existing hole (in the front), cut it out in desired area for the rear seats and feed wires towards the front map light. Splice using appropriate technique and install. Done.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have the sedan and, as was previously mentioned, the rear seat is very poorly lit. So I took the rear dome light out of a 2009 Ford Edge (I wanted a dome light that snapped into the headliner opposed to screwing into the roof) and installed it in the ridge on the headliner. I wired it directly to the front dome light so it would turn on when the doors were open. Now I have plenty of great light back there.Name:  P1040105.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  280.7 KB
      Name:  P1040107.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  275.6 KB
      Name:  P1040106.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  278.8 KB
      Name:  P1040126.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  282.7 KB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Packy For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (03-29-2018),Houdoxi71 (09-18-2020),LateOutDrsMn (03-03-2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123