•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Upgrade the Weak Single Note horn in a 07-11 Aveo to a Dual Note horn

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

How to Upgrade the Weak Single Note horn in a 07-11 Aveo to a Dual Note horn

As many of you Fellow T-255 Aveo Owners may have figured out by now, the Stock Single Note Horn in our Aveos is SERIOUSLY weak and quiet. (I finally figured it out last Friday because an 18 wheeler Did not move at a green light even after I honked at him FOUR TIMES.) I did a little poking around in the front of Scootaloo and found out the horn is a FIAMM AM80S. I was able to find a nice Dual note assembly out of a 2001 Impala and was amazed to find out the horns in it were also made by FIAMM! The Design of the FIAMM Horn Connection to the car allows the Original Connector to the car to be used on the "New" Horns, and is COMPLETELY Reversible to the Stock Horn!

The Location of the Weak Stock Horn

The 2001 Impala Horn Connector that needs to be changed to the connector that is on the Aveo's stock horn

the 2010 Connector on the 2001 Horn assembly

The 2010 Connector needs to be Notched inside to allow the two wires to reach the electrical connection

I had to make an extension plate to put the horns in the space between the Washer Fluid bottle and the Bumper Cover

This is what happens when you forget to put your Extension Plate in a vise when you drill the holes.

The final location of my Horn Upgrade (or as I like to Call it: ScootaHorn 2.0!). Happy Modding!

Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 07-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks
      Very cool - thanks for the photos too.

Thanks
      How is the new horn setup?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      How is the new horn setup?
      its a setup befitting of the LT lettering on my Trunk! it sounds MUCH nicer, is MUCH Louder, although I AM gonna (as they said on Phineas and Ferb) Kick it up a Notch and install an independent set of AIR Horns and use them as my "Your Driving Sucks!" Horn.

Thanks
      Video, or it didn't happen!

(Just kidding. )

Good mod.

When I was a teenager driving my parents' giant Caprice station wagon around, it pissed me off when people pulled up directly behind me a few times when I stopped on the street to reverse into a parallel parking spot - even with my reverse lights & turn signal on. I beeped the horn a few times, hoping they'd get the stronger message, but they didn't (because the horn was in the front of the car, half a block away!).

So I installed an extra horn under the rear bumper, "pointing" backwards. Horn mods are fun.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      i have several horns i have yet 2 replace the aveos. i need 2 do em. very nice mod!!! i love honking at people who dont see the car but the horn needs more attention.
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      For ****s and giggles, and a stronger horn, I put in a 12volt "oogah" horn for my 2008 hatch. I laugh at the looks people give me when I hit the horn on it. It strangely enough actually works well for the car and my personality. It's also quite loud.

I admit, your setup is a lot cleaner than mine is. At somepoint I may look into fabbing a better bracket for the placement of the horn, as well as how it's plugged in. Seeing what you did with yours gives me thoughts on making a better connection for mine.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      I did it too! Sound better!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DOSALOGA View Post
      I did it too! Sound better!
      oh, for those who get your horns from a JY like I did, list the Year, Make, and Model you extracted your new horns from!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Funny thing, but the horn on our '09 Aveo seems sufficiently loud enough for me. I have some very loud dual air horns installed on my other two Japanese cars, but the Aveo is mostly the wifeymobile, and she rarely blows the horn.

What does bother me greatly however is the small horn buttons on the steering wheel. I know this is largely due to the airbag location and that it's a cheap design. I've had several close calls in avoiding danger while driving the Aveo and not being able to find and blow the horn quickly enough, if at all. I'm used to instinctively slamming my hand on the center of the wheel in situations of imminent danger. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the small horn button dilemma?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast