•  

Thread: How to reattach the rear-view mirror

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks

How to reattach the rear-view mirror

Hi all,
      I have an Aveo sedan and after I reached across to get something, I clumsily knocked off my rear view mirror. Can anyone explain how to get the plastic front off? I cant slide it off. If I could do that, I think I could reattach the metal ring. I'll post pictures later if it helps.
      Thanks

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      should just pop back on
      Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Here are some photos, I can't just push the mirror back on as the metal inside is loose - can anyone explain how to get the plastic front off, please?
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      looks like you broke it pretty good.

is the "set screw" on the windshield side or the broken side? (by set screw i mean pin, spring, allen key etc).

it looks like that back plate should slide toward the roof, once you get the set out. then it will reassemble, and go back on in the same order.

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the replies, I took my car for a service today and the Chevrolet mechanics couldn't fix it. I was told I'd have to buy a complete new unit.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Start by running down to your local auto parts store and picking up a rearview-mirror adhesive kit. It'll come with a vial of superstrong glue and a vial of accelerant to help the glue cure very quickly. There are usually instructions on the back of the cardboard packaging, too, should you need some guidance. But of they said you need a complete new set than it means you broke it a little too much to get fixed now.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2006 Aveo rearview mirror base disconnect

Hi,

I just figured out how to remove the base from the holder on the window. There is an oval spring that holds the base in with two prongs at the top behind the metal ring. I used an allen wrench to move one side in while I slid the base out of the holder half way, then used it on the other side to get it the rest of the way off. A pair of needle nose pliers may work. Note, the screw that fits at the base of the mirror is very tight, but once I got it loosened, I was able to re-attach the mirror to the base, and the whole thing just slid back into place.Name:  IMG_20150805_183536.jpg
Views: 5930
Size:  255.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
      Hi all,
      I have an Aveo sedan and after I reached across to get something, I clumsily knocked off my rear view mirror. Can anyone explain how to get the plastic front off? I cant slide it off. If I could do that, I think I could reattach the metal ring. I'll post pictures later if it helps.
      Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Mine just busted yesterday in a very different way. I pulled up on it like normal, just like how I got the thing from the wrecking yard and the two thin pieces of metal that hold that spring onto the base of the mirror busted and the spring popped out. I wonder if I can just get the base somewhere and what that would be called?

The plastic is still on my windshield, I still have everything just the super thin metal is toast I don't see myself being able to repair it and still have it slide in without replacing that portion.

I put a new windshield on that's why I took it off. The other windshield was heavily cracked from the wind blowing the hood into the windshield directly in 70mph wind, wasn't thinking as that had never happened to me prior to that.