•  

Thread: how to paint ... any experts here

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

how to paint ... any experts here

Hi

I got a chevy aveo spoiler for my pontiac wave and i want to paint it to match...

2 body shops near me said 200 dollars plus tax so i said i would think about it.....

so i think ill try to paint it myself but i was wondering if you guys had any tips?

what grit to start with....

any special primer ....

do i Sand agian after the primer and after i put a base color coat and then slowy layer the paint ?

and ect...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Re: how to paint ... any experts here

i would sand it down, and primer it, and let the body shop spray the color
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i must say you will probably spend $200 in material to do it right, because the right stuff doesnt come in quantities small enough for just a spoiler.

the last gallon of clear and hardener i bought was almost $500.. but that is top of the line, you could buy quick clear in an quart for like $25, the basecoat would be about $50, and the primer would be abou $50..

having said that if using product like a body shop:

i am going to assume it is oem and in black e coat ? you would want to sand that with about 400 grit wet or dry, then scrub it clean with a grey pad and scuffing paste and water, wash it clean, wipe it doesnt with a paint cleaner, dry it, and then tack rag it. Spray it with sealer, allow 5-15 minutes flash, and then put a coat of base on it. let it sit for like 15-20 minutes. then tack it agin spray more base. (repeat tacking and base until color coverage could be 3 coats could but 20 depending on technique and hiding quality of the paint. once you have coverage (dont tack your last coat of base unless its really dirty, but then it need to be really dry too) clear it, two coats with the recommended flash time in between.

allow it to dry for the correct amount of time according to the clear. usually over night, sand it with 2000 grit and buff it smooth..

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

my tips for good spraycan (or similar) results.

Build up the coating

Start with a dusting of paint.

Keep dusting the peice with paint.

Start the spray before you hit the piece, and spray past the piece with each pass.

Let the paint build up evenly.

It will look bad for a little bit but the end result will be better than a thick coating that wont dry right and may get runs.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I think you should try negotiating with your local shops or try another discount shop. Around here Maaco will paint an entire car for 199.00, so I think they could shoot a spoiler for 50-100 bucks. Painting is hard, and it is easy to run, then you have to start all over. It is kind of like window tint, material is cheap, but application is an art

Thanks

i was able to paint my cavalier mirrors years and years ago i just forget how the hell i did it ...

they are stil looking good too

i was able to go to a parts store and they took my paint codes and mixed up a bottle for about 40 dollars
      i just totaly forgot the steps on how to do it and the grit i used in stages...

i searched on youtube but that was no help

Thanks

as for the paint shops i might drive around to show them the spoiler so they can see that its the size of a toothpick and not 3 level ricer spoiler

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

if you were closer to me i would paint it for you for like $100..

i only use dupont,ici, ppg, type paint though. can't help too much with spray cans etc...

i would try a dealership. if they are painting a car the same color already, they might do it for $20.. i used to paint stuff for people as additional parts all the time on the cheap..