•  

Thread: How do I change Oil pump on 2005 Chevy Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How do I change Oil pump on 2005 Chevy Aveo

Hello. My 2005 Chevy Aveo oil light is flickering. I changed the oil pressure sensor a while back and it went away for a while but now the flicker is back. I changed it again, and this time it didn't help. I haven't gotten a pressure reading yet. Now at idle, my car is running hot: between half and 3/4 on the guage.

I will measure the pressure, but I am relatively sure that the pump is the problem. I will drop the pan and make sure there is no gunk, etc. in there. Another thread (which I lost) had directions to that.
      Now, I've never seen what's underneath a oil pan so other than make sure everything is not gunky, I am not sure what else I can do. From some forum pics, I assume there will be a tube with a screen. Obviously I'll check that this is clear and clean. What else should I do with the oil pan off?

Now to the main question, assuming I need to change the oil pump, how involved is that? From the crappy manual I have I see that it is on the side of the engine. Does anyone have a step by step? Perhaps most important, would be a parts list. Once I start taking parts off, it's a long bike ride to the parts store...

Thanks,
      Matthew

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Yes, definitely put a gauge on it to check the actual oil pressure before going any further. The oil sender connector, wiring, and the ecu are all in the mix for this code. But if it turns out that the pressure really is low (meaning you've been running with low oil pressure for some time) you might want to consider an alternate plan, such as buying a new engine.

Plus you have the coolant temp to diagnose. Where is the coolant level? Is there any sign of coolant dripping or on the ground? Any coolant in the oil, or visa-versa? Have you already replaced the plastic thermostat housing? How about white smoke from the exhaust or bubbles in the coolant tank with the engine running and the tank cap off? If the HG is blown, you would be faced with another fairly big job, and another reason for a new engine.

Although I haven't done one on the Aveo, the oil pump looks to done by removing the oil pan, all timing belt components, including the 3 pulleys and back cover. Oil pump, pan gasket, timing belt kit (if needed), oil, and coolant should be the parts list.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Yes, definitely put a gauge on it to check the actual oil pressure before going any further. The oil sender connector, wiring, and the ecu are all in the mix for this code. But if it turns out that the pressure really is low (meaning you've been running with low oil pressure for some time) you might want to consider an alternate plan, such as buying a new engine.

Plus you have the coolant temp to diagnose. Where is the coolant level? Is there any sign of coolant dripping or on the ground? Any coolant in the oil, or visa-versa? Have you already replaced the plastic thermostat housing? How about white smoke from the exhaust or bubbles in the coolant tank with the engine running and the tank cap off? If the HG is blown, you would be faced with another fairly big job, and another reason for a new engine.

Although I haven't done one on the Aveo, the oil pump looks to done by removing the oil pan, all timing belt components, including the 3 pulleys and back cover. Oil pump, pan gasket, timing belt kit (if needed), oil, and coolant should be the parts list.
      Thank you so much! I guess I will take it to the mechanic now to get the oil pressure issue diagnosed since I don't have the pressure gauge.

The question of the timing belt removal is going huge. I can turn bolts and whatnot, but I am not to confident that I can get the timing right without having any experience and insufficient manual. What makes you think you have to remove the timing belt components?

And yes, I have had the plastic thermostat housing blow up on me, overheat the engine, and subsequently blow a head gasket. I had a buddy help me with that repair but that isn't an option this time. No sign of coolant dripping. No foam under the valve cover as seen from the oil fill hole. The oil is full, if anything a half quart overfull. I paid to have my oil changed this time so they may have overfilled it a little. Oil seemed quite clean. No smoke.

I'll have to run it to check for bubbles, but no sign of oil in the coolant.

I guess I'm off to the mechanic to have him check my oil pressure.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks
      I understand not being up for the job - you shouldn't be doing this type of thing unless you're comfortable with it. But, if the oil pressure is indeed low, the cost for the pump replacement would be $1K, give or take depending on the going shop rates where you live, and if the timing belt componenets are reused. IMO it would be a big mistake to invest anything like that into this engine (again, presuming the oil pressure has been low for some time). I think you could get a rebuilt engine installed for 1.5-2K (some are sold with a warranty), or pull one from a boneyard Aveo for much less than that. But if the oil pressure turns out to be ok, then maybe your mechanic can diagnose the reason for the oil light and also the overheat issue for a reasonable cost. You didn't by any chance turn on the heat recently for the first time since the HG job?
      Last edited by avguy; 09-09-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I understand not being up for the job - you shouldn't be doing this type of thing unless you're comfortable with it. But, if the oil pressure is indeed low, the cost for the pump replacement would be $1K, give or take depending on the going shop rates where you live, and if the timing belt componenets are reused. IMO it would be a big mistake to invest anything like that into this engine (again, presuming the oil pressure has been low for some time). I think you could get a rebuilt engine installed for 1.5-2K (some are sold with a warranty), or pull one from a boneyard Aveo for much less than that. But if the oil pressure turns out to be ok, then maybe your mechanic can diagnose the reason for the oil light and also the overheat issue for a reasonable cost. You didn't by any chance turn on the heat recently for the first time since the HG job?
      Actually...I found it in my manual and it seems like you don't have to remove the timing belt. I'll see if I can attach it.

Yeah if it's gonna take 1.5-2k my car probably isn't worth that. It's an 05 with about 140k miles.

No on the first time to turn on the heat. It's been a couple years.

Thanks,
      Matt

Thanks
      Here's part of that manual: Uploads

Thanks
      In the doc you sent, for "oil pump replacement"; #2 is remove timing belt, and #3 is remove TB rear cover.

Thanks
      You are right. I must have glossed over that. At any rate, the mechanic said the oil pressure was fine and I should change the sensor. This is a problem with many aveos...but I have already changed that sensor...three times. Maybe forth time is a charm, or maybe there is a broken wire. I'll change the sensor one more time then start chasing down wires if it still isn't fixed.

Overheating was a separate issue. He recommended starting with the thermostat (which I changed 4 or so years ago). That did the trick. No more overheating.

Thanks
      Things are looking much better today than yesterday for your Aveo! You also should carefully examine the oil pressure connector. But if you can't find the reason for the oil light, another possibility is an aftermarket oil pressure gauge which, if it were up to me, would be installed on every vehicle at the factory.