•  

Thread: DIY PSF flush

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

DIY PSF flush

Originally posted by genie47

In the Aveo manual, it is recommends that you inspect your power steering fluid (PSF) every time you change your oil. For added measure, I would say, change it once a year.

Now according to the manual, you need a DexronIII equivalent ATF to be used as PSF. If you have Toyota's T-IV ATF, it is even better.

Here are two very highly rated ATFs that you can use as PSF on your Aveo. Royal Purple's Max ATF (over 100lbs on the Timken test!) and Toyota's T-IV ATF. The selling point of Royal Purple's Max ATF is that it is a synthetic ATF that meets DexronIII specs. T-IV ATF meets GM 3309 specs. GM 3309 is compatible with LT71141. DexronIII meets LT71141 and therefore, T-IV can be used in applications where DexronIII is called for. You can consider it the most advance spec for ATFs after GM's DexronVI.

Here in Singapore, RP Max ATF can be bought for SGD16-17/qt. T-IV ATF can be bought at around SGD22/4L.

Ok how to change the ATF? There are 2 ways. The first involves using a turkey baster. Just open the PSF reservoir cap, suck out as much PSF using the turkey baster and deposit it into a waste container. There is a mesh screen below the reservoir and it will not allow you to completely suck out the PSF in the system. Top up with new PSF. Drive a week, repeat. How many times depends on fastidious you are.

The second method is recommended if you like a total system PSF replacement.

1. Jack up the car on both the front points until the front wheels are off the ground. This is to reduce the stress on the steering components.

2. Get a 5/8", 2mm thick tube about 1m long. Cut a small slit on one end of the tube.

3. Gently pull out the coolant tube that runs from the reservoir and past the battery from the securing clips. There is no need to remove it. Just frees up some space so that you can remove the PSF return line from the reservoir.

4. Using a pair of pliers, release the clip that secures the PSF return line to the reservoir. Pull as far back as possible.

5. Have the 5/8" tube in hand. Make sure the other end drops down to the bottom of the engine bay into a collecting bottle or oil drain pan. BTW, the end with the slit should be the end you are holding to for the next step.

6. Now you want to minimize spills on your porch or garage, quickly pull out the return line and stuff it into the 5/8" tube as shown below

7. Now go to your driver's seat (there is no need to sit on it), turn the key switch to ON but DO NOT START THE ENGINE! This frees your steering wheel lock. Assuming you parked the car with the steering wheel centered, turn fully to both directions and then center it. Come out and inspect the PSF level. It should have dropped by half. Top up with PSF and repeat. Repeat until about 1-2L of PSF is used. If the PSF is a cheap and you like a full system flush, use about 3L of PSF.

8. Once finished, reconnect the return line back to the reservoir. Lower the car, and start the engine observing for leaks.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this. Toyota's T-IV ATF is actually used for any Toyota using Aisin Warner automatic transmissions. Aveos and Optras (Lacetti, Forenza) uses Aisin automatic transmissions, I would suggest using T-IV as your ATF in place of DexonIII if you can get it cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by thebarber
      if you cant take a joke, dont be one.
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      ah yes... the ricer scale.
      1 ricer = 3 vin diesel
      1 vin diesel = 2 paul walker
      4 paul walker = 1hp

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      A quick way to bleed the system is to remove the cap, turn the key to "on" (but again, don't start the engine)... and turn the wheel lock to lock, check the fluid level, top off if nessesary, and repeat until the fluid level no longer drops in between turns.

Just be sure that the fluid never drops below the min mark.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I love Royal Purple! I have used its Engine Oil for the last 4,000 miles, and my mechanic says it looks great still, I could go another 2,000 miles if I choose. I think thats amazing considering I think I got Better gas milage while using it as well.

I'm glad to see I can use their Max ATF for my Power Steering as well, I am quite a fan of Royal Purple, and wouldn't mind converting all my fluids over where possible.

I have even noticed that all my local GM service centers are using it now instead of other regular oils.

Thanks
      how do you know that you psf needs changing?
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Thanks
      it's dirty, water has contaminated the system, it just doesn't "feel right"... etc.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.