•  

Thread: Cruise control switch installation (04-08 Aveo hatchback and 04-06 sedan)

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Cruise control switch installation (04-08 Aveo hatchback and 04-06 sedan)

Note: this is a DIY for placing a switch where I placed it behind the wiper switch arm on the steering wheel hub.

So I've looked at a few threads on here and AveoNetwork about installing cruise control with running two wires to the plug at the firewall (as opposing to buying the clock spring) and ran into the same problem as everybody else: where can I place it so it doesn't look too much out of place without tearing into the dash too much and without buying the clock spring - then I could just place it where it originally was designed, but figured I'd try the cheap way first before I go spending $100+ on a wire bundle. I figured for myself, I don't need to be able to see the buttons at all times since the buttons are all in the same place as in most cars - Accelerate/Resume on top, and Set/Coast on the bottom. And the switch on the side I can just leave on at all times (unless someone can tell me a good reason why I shouldn't, I couldn't think of one) since I don't have it hooked up to the light in the dash, which would interfere my custom gauges: I took out the light channel for Cruise Control light and DRL light (disconnected the system earlier and don't plan on reconnecting 'cause it doesn't work well with my HID's with reduced voltage and stuff), so if I connected the light up, it would just disperse a little bit of orange glow inside my tach...

As for the switch not being all the way in the hub - I didn't want to fabricate something to put the screws in if I put it flush with the hub. And it being on a "pod" where it connects made it easier to reach it in the location it's at.

So with all that in mind, I started looking for a place, and without further introductions, this is what I did:

I started out with this:

I marked the spots where the longest posts would go in first and drilled those out so I can put them in first and mark the rest of the stuff that I need to drill/cut out.

plugged the switch in and roughly marked what else I need to drill/cut out

cut out the rest of the shape of the cruise control switch parts.

Another shot of the hub plastic and the switch:

Trying the switch on to see how it sits:

after everything fit well, I took it to the car and installed it all back in, plus the CC switch (I put two screws, they had to be pretty long to make it all the way through the switch and into the steering wheel hub plastic):

The top button is partially hidden by the wiper switch arm. In the picture above, the wiper switch is in the highest position and the wheel is turned to the right so you can see where it's mounted.

And here's a few pictures of the final installation:

And a shot of my car in the middle of the night when I got done with the installation and the test drive

The only place I found it very slightly rubbing was in the very back of the switch when it's moved up and down, which could be fixed by moving the switch "forward" (towards the driver), but then you're running a chance of accelerating/resuming cruise control on accident when trying to activate the rear wiper washer sprayer. You dould take a utility knife and shave off a millimeter or two off the switch to prevent the rubbing, but decided against it since I don't adjust the wheel that much and it doesn't bug me personally. Just thought I'd put it out there in case you decide to go that way.

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Cruise control switch installation (04-08 Aveo hatchback and 04-06 sedan)

Note: this is a DIY on how to install a switch only. For detailed write-up of where to tap into the wires look here: http://aveoclub.proboards.com/index.cgi ... 1153560399

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD