•  

Thread: Cold air intake install

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Cold air intake install

As I have read I have the common rips in my current air intake and it turns out a lot cheaper just getting a cold air intake as I am based in the UK and parts are extremely hard to come by here, it's easy enough to install just thinking about the sensor?

as it is not a simple bolt off to attach to the new pipe would I have to carefully cut my current intake and connect the Sensor part of the pipe to the new pipe? or can I just run it without the sensor

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      You need the sensor. The pipe usually has a hole for the sensor. It tends to push into a grommet. But some cheaper pipes, just have a hole and you cut the sensor out of the factory pipe. I wold also suggest MAF safe silicone.

If you post which pipe you are installing and some specs of your car, we can help you further.

Thanks
      The pipe I ordered was just a basic universal cold air intake as it was around £15 cheaper than a replacement stock it seems like it only has a pipe that attaches to the engine, I have a 1.6 16v 2005 engine

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      You will want to get a drill bit that is the approximate diameter of the sensor. Only the part the sticks into the pipe.

Drill a pilot hole, the increase size up to the size you need, If you have a chrome pipe, go slow, you will burn the tip.

then on the OEM pipe, remove the sensor, cutting a little more material of the pipe to create a flange. I say @ 1/2" 13mm but a little more is one too. Before installing it into the pipe, coat the flange in a MAF safe silicone, most are these days. Push into the holes and tape it down. Let it dry. Then after it dries, peel the tape off, and run a bead around the outside seam. pressing it in with your finger. You can mask the pipe of to have a clean peeled line if you want, just pull the tape off before it dries.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

Howii (08-09-2017)

Thanks
      If you go to EBay and type In "GM 96439858" you'll find replacements with air sensor plugin for 10-15 bucks. At this moment there is one that ALSO includes a air filter, both for $19.00 and free delivery. The one I ordered and used a few yrs back fit perfect and was like only a 10-15 minute job.