•  

Thread: Change Auto Tranny Fluid - PITA or DIY?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Change Auto Tranny Fluid - PITA or DIY?

I'm at 37.5k miles on my 08 automatic, and drive in the mountains and desert all the time. Per the manual, I'm supposed to get an oil change and an auto tranny fluid change. I think I can handle the oil change myself, but the ATF seems a little more intimidating, and the folks at AutoZone eluded to removing the bottom part of the transmission, replacing a gasket, etc. but they didn't have any specific info or parts for the Aveo. Is this something that is easy to do in the Aveo, or should I bring it somewhere to get it done?

I replaced the spark plugs without a problem, and think I can swing an oil change, but I'm not mechanically inclined by any stretch.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: Change Auto Tranny Fluid - PITA or DIY?

I would recommend having it professionally done due to the fact that they use a flush machine instead of just dropping the pan. If you just remove the pan, it only removes about half the fluid whereas a flush machine will exchange it all (mostly). The down side of the flush is it uses a lot more fluid, about 16L, which can be kind of expensive. I guess it depends on how much you wanna spend.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Change Auto Tranny Fluid - PITA or DIY?

I currently have a 2007 Aveo5 LS and i'm doing a basic drain & fill, not complete flush. How much Type-IV transmission fluid do i need to put back in to get to the proper level?