•  

Thread: A/C Installation Helo, no prep package

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

A/C Installation Helo, no prep package

Hello,

I have an 07 Aveo hatchback that I want to install A/C in. Unfortunately, it does not have any A/C prep package installed. I have scoured the forums, and while I have found plenty of information for installing A/C into an Aveo that has the prep package, there doesn't appear to be any for one without a prep package.

Right now I have the three compressor/refrigerant hoses
      The Compressor Assembly
      Condenser with attached drier/accumulator
      Climate Control Unit

I am unsure of what else I need as I am not familiar with A/C systems for vehicles. I do know I need the compressor assembly bracket and the evaporator and I assume I will need to get some other parts, wiring included. Right now there is an Aveo that I can get parts from in a local U-Pull-It yard, so getting the parts is not a problem, just knowing that I have everything is my problem. If I could get a complete list of needed parts and instructions that would be great!

That being said, from the looking I have done I have a few specific questions.

The climate control, the existing one in my aveo, has a manual lever for switching the inside/outside air. The new one has an electric button so am i going to have to get a motor for opening/closing the inside/outside air door? Also, there are two harnesses that connect to the climate control. The black harness is the same for both, but the old control has a 10 pin gray connector, while the new control has a 12pin connector. The 10 pin fits into the 12 pin connector just fine, leaving two pins with no connection. I am assuming that I am going to have to install a new harness, along with a bunch of other wiring, to get this install to work. Is that correct?

It also appears from my looking that I am going to have to remove the dashboard to access/install the new evaporator. Anyone got instructions for doing this? From looking around online it appears that this is going to be a major task in and of itself

I understand how monumental of a task this is and am committed to doing this, so please no comments telling me how hard this is or how I should buy a new A/C with an aveo attached I do have a high mechanical aptitude, so far I have not run into any work I cannot do, unless it is one that requires more tools than I already have.

I do plan on posting a detailed how-to of this install, including pictures and possibly video if I can get my camera to work.

Any other help, comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Keep us informed on the how to, and pics would b great....I was also thinking about this

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Ok, I haven't abandoned this project, just put it on hold till I have time to get the parts. Looking like I will have to put this off until late July or early August