•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Aveo 5 TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor) light need to be reset, but how?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2010 Aveo 5 TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor) light need to be reset, but how?

I just rotated my tires before I went to the beach. Drove 800 miles round trip no problem. Got in my car this morning and my TPMS light came on and stayed on. I checked the air pressure on all 4 tires and they are as should be per the door placard. I called my dealer and told him what happened and he said they need to be reset every time they are rotated, and he wasn't sure if that was covered under warranty. I don't want to pay someone to rotate my tires and screw up my wheels. I am not stupid or helpless. I wish GM would leave the sensors off. I know how to check my tire pressure, and change my own oil. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      It's regular maintenance not covered under warranty. the do it yourself option involves deflating and re inflating the tires in a certain order. Look through the owners manual for the directions.

As for leaving the sensors off, it is now a federal law that all consumer vehicles brought to or built in the United States include a TPMS system. the whole ford explorer/ bridgestone tire blow outs thing.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      Thanks so much for the info. I'll give it a try. I am just very frustrated with dealerships that can't even properly change your oil. My dealer used a pair of pliers to remove my drain plug instead of the torx socket that is required to take it off. Also the stupid tire store I had mount and balance my tires. I went 3 times to get it balanced right and now when I rotated them they had them so over torqued that I completely broke a new Craftsman 1/2 drive socket trying to break the lug nuts loose. I had to take it back to them to loosen them. I told them they are supposed to be torqued to 81 lbs. And I would never had gotten them off to change a flat if I had too.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      there is a very easy solution to this.

pull the fuse for tpms. light is out, problem solved :P

haha.. actually i dont know if it is shared with something else. or if puling the fuse will put the light out. i let it glow. not paying the @$200 per set of wheels to keep the sensors, the only time i think it is handy is in winter as i am less inclined to check tire pressures in below freezing weather.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I used to do the tires and oil thing. They should have a very handy list of all torque specifications for the bolts and plugs on hand, some even tell you what specific tool to use. We had that, and still had guys that would just do whatever they wanted. Stripped oil pans, crossed threads on wheel studs/lugs. All stupid and easily avoided, and it takes seconds just seconds more time to ensure the job is done right. I agree it's stupid, but just how stupid, a lot of people just don't know until they have worked the job.

Any way, now that I'm done ranting. I hope you found the reset procedure and didn't have any trouble doing it. I pay to have mine reset, I don't have a fast enough air compressor.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      It's regular maintenance not covered under warranty. the do it yourself option involves deflating and re inflating the tires in a certain order. Look through the owners manual for the directions.

As for leaving the sensors off, it is now a federal law that all consumer vehicles brought to or built in the United States include a TPMS system. the whole ford explorer/ bridgestone tire blow outs thing.
      Well, I am about to buy winter tires... I want to keep the winter tires on the factory wheels, and have cool rims & sports tires for the summertime... 2 questions: 1st, relating to what you said here, Daug... Just because it's mandatory that they are made/imported/sold with'em, can we really get in any trouble for bypassing or removing the system?
      Second, I can't deal with the light lit up all the time... If I have NEW sensors put on the summer wheels, and both sets had the sensors on them, how complicated would it be to switch'em out? Would I have to reset, & all that stuff? I don't even know how the sensors connect... I've taken my wheel off several times, put it back on with no light; (never seen the sensors) ... it only comes on when it's bloody cold in winter.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if i could do it over again, i would have the sensors in the winter wheels when its cold enough i dont feel like checking my tire pressure..

aside from that, i have no tpms sensors, my van has them in the winter tires, and the light goes out the second i swap them on every fall.

Thanks
      I had a leaking tire stem and ended up having he TPMS sensor removed. Eventually tried replacing it but it never turned the light off. Took it to the dealer to have the sensor reset but they could not solve it. I have grown tired of looking a the dummy light and since I check the pressure regularly, I'll follow your advice and remove the fuse for it. I did the same thing with the DRLs and i'm very happy with that.

Thanks
      I checked the manual but I cannot identify a fuse that can be pulled to disable the TPMS dummy light on my 2008 Chevy Aveo Sedan. Anyone know?

Thanks
      Did you check the pressure in the spare? I never had to reset a TPMS after a tire rotation. Maybe on a car that tells the difference between which tire is low.

Another way to get the light out with non factory wheels is to put all of your sensors in a spare tire and keep it to pressure. just keep that in the trunk and most of the time the computer just reads the signal and doesn't care where it came from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast