•  

Thread: 2005 Aveo 5 ac installation?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2005 Aveo 5 ac installation?

My car has no air. I found another wrecked Aveo that is being parted out. PO said if I removed the ac system myself I could have everything for $40! What's involved in removing all the parts that go with the ac system?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I don't think removal would be that big a deal, but installation is likely to be a PITA. There will likely be 'gotchas', such as a needing a different radiator(condenser), and possibly a reflash of the ECM for stuff like rad fan control. And if the power steering line needs to be removed in order to get the A/C lines in, that would not be good because I'm sure yours is well along to rusting out just like mine did. And there probably will be other stuff as well.

I also have no A/C in my '05, and have never considered installing A/C (approximately the same climate as your area). With a limited future for the vehicle, why not just continue to keep the windows open, as you have always done in the past?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I added a/c to my car. it wasn't actually that hard. Take a look at your firewall, my car came with the evaporator and expansion valve already installed. That would be the hardest part of the install. There are a few different DIY threads on here. My car was the newer 09 engine set up though. Having a full donor would be easier, my car was still a first year model so i had to scour the internet and order things from the dealership to get it done. The dealerships sold a kit to dealer add ac for about $1200 at the time. I installed mine for around $200..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had an 08 in nice shape years ago and had dealership install ac. Sold the car couple years later found an 05 w/o air at a good price. 5 speed hatchback. Love these things. I just found a guy who has a wrecked 05. He said if I pulled the system I could have everything for $100!! I'm going Monday with a buddy to pull it.
      Will I need to pull the ecm?? I didn't think about that until someone mentioned reflashing the ECM?? Anyone have an idea if this is true?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I took mine to the dealer and had them turn on the ac option on my ecm.
      The service writer did it for free, but I gave him a print out of the directions I found somewhere online.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
      I had an 08 in nice shape years ago and had dealership install ac. Sold the car couple years later found an 05 w/o air at a good price. 5 speed hatchback. Love these things. I just found a guy who has a wrecked 05. He said if I pulled the system I could have everything for $100!! I'm going Monday with a buddy to pull it.
      Will I need to pull the ecm?? I didn't think about that until someone mentioned reflashing the ECM?? Anyone have an idea if this is true?
      My 2010 came with the dealer install option.After I installed the parts needed and turned on the ac with a Tech 2 tool,mine won't work.After all my research and taking the car to the dealer,it still doesn't work.Now the term flashing the computer is used here quite a bit.The dealer can reprogram the computer but they do it by the VIN #.That has not solved My problem and 2 other dealers and GM in Detroit were no help either.The tech 2 turns the ac on in the dash computer.It does not change the ECM. If someone has a solution to this I'm interested in hearing it.