•  

Thread: Winter mode ON!.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Winter mode ON!.

Thought I'd get a jump on the snow this year and put my grips on early. If you live in an area like mine with tons of snow in the winter I strongly suggest buying a set of four winter grips, I went without for one winter and it wasn't pretty, it's a totally different car in the winter now.

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: Winter mode ON!.

The difference is night and day between the original hankooks and a set of good snow tires. I ran the hankooks for half the winter then switched to a set of Goodyear Nordics before my move out west. I couldn't have made it without them.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

i run stocks in the winter and low pros in the summer and have done for 4 winters. you just need to learn the limit of the tires in the snow and you will not have any problem, i don't.
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deniswhite1
      i run stocks in the winter and low pros in the summer and have done for 4 winters. you just need to learn the limit of the tires in the snow and you will not have any problem, i don't.
      It's not really an option when it snows a foot overnight and you have to get to work in the morning. The town I live in only plows the roads about twice a winter.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 07_aveo
      It's not really an option when it snows a foot overnight and you have to get to work in the morning. The town I live in only plows the roads about twice a winter.

True. (I've been through your town), it's also becoming provincial law:
      Quote found on my local forum, 306motorclub.com.

Quebec motorists will be required to swap their summer tires for winter ones starting next winter, under a provincial law passed Wednesday.

As of Nov. 15, 2008, drivers will have to equip their vehicles with snow tires from that day each year through to April 15. The province estimates that 90 per cent of vehicles already use snow tires though an estimated 500,000 people rely on all-season tires.

The law makes Quebec the first province to require winter tires.

Jean-Marie de Koninck, who served as the head of a provincial task force on road safety, said the change is expected to help curb winter accidents.

"There's about 10 per cent of the people right now that don't have winter tires on and they're involved in 38 per cent of the accidents on the road in the winter," he said.

Drivers found without the tires will be fined between $200 and $300, though de Koninck acknowledged spotting drivers without winter tires may be difficult for police officers.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

thats exactly what i do and i have had no problems at all. just dont drive like an ass and u will be fine around town. u should always use more caution during the winter anyways. there are exceptions to this, like the type of terrain u deal with and such.

i had a buddy a few winters ago who had a 4 dr. acura legend with snow tires and he went too fast and had to come to an abrupt stop at an intersection and ended up sliding into another car, rear ending it. caused more probs than ever with his car, it still dont run right. so all im sayin is, even with snow tires u can still have probs, just be safe, use common sense, and stop thinkin ur mister hot shot!
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

on crappy winter days i leave the aveo in the garage and break out the gas sucking suburban battle cruiser.

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?