•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Steering?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Torque Steering?

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year! I have a question for everyone. I have a 2005 Chevy Aveo Hatchback, automatic and I noticed that the car seems to pull to the right whenever I do a hard acceleration from a complete stop. Whenever I accelerate it goes in a straight line until it shifts into first gear, it pulls to the right and then second and it pulls to the right. Other than that it goes in a straight line at speed and no problems when braking. It seems like it has torque steering. I'm going to take a look at the tie rods and lower control arm and ball joint but I don't hear any rattling or clunking sound going over bumps or speed bumps. Has anyone ran into this issue? It's a little nerve wrecking when it change gears and then it just pulls when you least expect it.

Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I would check the brakes and make sure they are good. It could be the caliper is not releasing and grabbing.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      I would check the brakes and make sure they are good. It could be the caliper is not releasing and grabbing.
      I will definitely check on that. Now that you mentioned it, I recall the driver side front brake seems to have a delay of releasing the brakes from a stop. Last year new rotors and brake pads were installed as well as a new driver side brake hose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks
      If that doesn't work, an alignment may be in order. These cars don't have enough power for discernible torque steer, and I would imagine you're not hammering on it all the time.

Thanks
      I had an alignment done, twice at a Chevy dealership. Second time around was done because the steering wheel was not centered after the alignment had been done. Cost $35. As for hammering, not really. Basically from a stop to about 30 mph. About the same as getting onto the freeway ramp from a stop. Okay, a slow freeway with lot's a traffic. hahaha. I'll report back on what what I find out. Thanks for the advice guys!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would check the ending mounts, particularly the dog bone mount underneath.
      Get some you trust to put the car in gear, holding the brake and accelerate the engine a little bit to see how much it rocks.
      You better trust them, or you will get run over.
      you could do similar and look at the wheels for movement (rocking/turning).

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I would check the ending mounts, particularly the dog bone mount underneath.
      Get some you trust to put the car in gear, holding the brake and accelerate the engine a little bit to see how much it rocks.
      You better trust them, or you will get run over.
      you could do similar and look at the wheels for movement (rocking/turning).
      I'll definitely check the engine mounts. I don't think I'm that brave to be under there but I'll probably use my phone in video recording mode and slip it underneath.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you don't need to be underneath, the top of the engine will move just as much, just have the "Driver" go from drive, to reverse with a quick slight push of the pedal and see if the engine is rocking back and forth. it will take a minute, and is better than trying to visually inspect the rubber in each mount.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you don't need to be underneath, the top of the engine will move just as much, just have the "Driver" go from drive, to reverse with a quick slight push of the pedal and see if the engine is rocking back and forth. it will take a minute, and is better than trying to visually inspect the rubber in each mount.
      Thanks eveyone for the advice. Unfortunately a guy driving a black pick up truck hit my daughter's car and pushed her car to the center median on the expressway going at 65 mph head on last night. Thankfully she's okay, not hurt and walked away. Front end is gone yet the Aveo held it's shape and protected her. You can open the doors just fine. To top it off a TV show from A&E called Live PD was filming the accident. I never heard of that show. Supposedly it's going air tonight but I didn't sign a release. My focus was on my daughter. Nothing else mattered. I have to say, what a good little car that was right to the end. Thanks everyone...

Last edited by jamesd; 01-13-2017 at 09:31 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesd For This Useful Post:

xintersecty (01-20-2017)

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Thank god she is ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast