•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time for a brake job

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

time for a brake job

so i had my 04 aveo with 65 000km inspected for NY state, and they told me the inside pads are very close to being not safe, now i know my car and i know it doesnt have the same pedal feel and stoping power as it did when it was new but i can still lock up my wheels on dry pavement. also the hand break needs to be pulled higher to have the same effect (i relate that to some drifting i did every winter for 6 years now LOL)

but before winter comes i want to replace the pads and roters and change the brake fluid, and tighten up the hand break.

any one do this to their car? how much should i expect to spend on parts? any sugestions on wat parts i should get?

Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: time for a brake job

its relatively easy, but are you on a tight budget? you should replace pads and rotors together.

basic Pads can be had for like $20 a set while rotors are like $30 each, more with brands / "quality" levels
      (check ebay or rock auto for better?)

so your looking at less than $100 in parts if you do the sliders/hardware with it.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

I got mine from Advance Auto Parts and it took about 30 minutes to do the front brakes both sides. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes at 115000 miles.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

before you adjust the hand brake adjust the rear shoes, most times that is the cause of a high hand brake

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04notchback
      before you adjust the hand brake adjust the rear shoes, most times that is the cause of a high hand brake
      how do i do that?
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I was caming from work this morning, rainning and bad weather, doing about 45 on a country road, a big deer jumped in front of my car and I hit the brakes. The brakes worked perfect! 53k on the original pads, no ABS either(I can modulate the brakes myself,thanks...), no skiding, I'm sure the 205's low pro tires helped! The car came to a stop very quicky, funny thing is, just before that I did a couple of emergency brake stops to see how the brakes where working, almost like I had a warning I was going to need them soon... Anyways, I'm happy my car/the deer where ok.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo View Post
      I got mine from Advance Auto Parts and it took about 30 minutes to do the front brakes both sides. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes at 115000 miles.
      3 sets??? I am still on my first set, i did change the rotors because the stock ones looked bad but my pads looked new at 40k miles :0

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I have a question about my 2007 Aveo LS. When I bought it the brakes squeeked (I bought it used). They will squeek every time I push the brakes in slightly. They don't really squeek when I push the brakes in hard. Nonetheless, it is annoying when my brakes squeek all the time! I took it to the dealership where I bought it (2X). Both times they told me that the brakes were like brand new and that they wouldn't change them. They told me brakes on Aveos are metallic and not ceramic because they're made to be affordable and that all metalic brakes will squeek like that. He said that everyone has that problem, but the brakes are fine. Is this true? I would NEVER purchase a new car with squeeky brakes. I don't think anyone would.

I'll keep it and add a turbo brendan.melanson's Avatar
      Thanks
      Front brakes are easy, the back ones will give you the trouble. Good luck.

Oh by the way, spend the extra money on the higher end brake pads, they'll last a bit longer if you get the right kind and they'll have a lot better affect even if you do ride them a bit. I rode mine right to hell with my sudden needed stops after making my needle shake at the 200KMH mark. :P

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      mine do not squeak, i'm not sure of the oem composition, but even semi metallic pads shouldnt squeak. perhaps they are glazed or something?

when do they squeak? like while braking? he letting off? while driving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast