•  

Thread: Subframe warped, driver side control arm warped

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

Subframe warped, driver side control arm warped

took the car to a GM dealership to do a 'full alignment' since it hadnt been done properly since the lowering session. Well, they told me the caster will not 'get in spec' so that lead them to delve into the issue more, thus discovering i have a warped/bent sub frame at the drivers side lower control arm. they took a picture of it too. these things happen, so to move forward, i have to source out a used sub-frame and control arm. now, the 'off road' runs this summer are what did it i am sure.. because at the start of the summer the car felt 'spot on'so the GM tech could not get the caster into spec, he showed me the impact spot on the sub-frame and control arm where its a bit bent. he suggested just doing the control arm might be all i need, but having heard this i think i will replace both.. ive already booked the same tech who lead the lowering session so he is familiar with my car.

Last edited by northguest47; 10-17-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by northguest47 View Post
      .... so the caster can't get into alignment, suggesting that both the sub-frame and the control arm need to be replaced. ....
      Who 'suggested' that both the K frame and control arm(s) are bent? What's the Aveo doing? Pulling - wobbling - something else? Has anyone been underneath to visually inspect the frame and control arm? The control arm is connected at all 3 points by wear parts (bushings and ball joint). If there was enough force to bend metal, it would be highly doubtful that all of the wear parts would still be ok. So with bent frame/control arm plus a blown bushing and/or ball joint, it would be driving really poorly. So if it's just an alignment issue and nothing else, I'd take it to a (better) alignment shop.

Thanks
      Hey Avguy thanks for the reply.. i updated my original posting to be more concise.. and to describe what the driver feels, when you step on the gas it pulls slightly to the left so you have to steer right to compensate, and when you let off the gas abruptly the opposite happens it a small but detectable pull to the right. this can also be noticed when braking especially on downhill corners. it not even that huge of a 'pull' but its noticeable and i am a bit of a nitpick when it comes to handling because once this issue is resolved ill have my 'sharp' handling back.. in the meantime i can compensate for the effect. hope that helps more. ball joint already replaced in said alignment session too and if i didnt mention this is the drivers side.

Thanks
      so went to the scrap yard.. there are several sub-frames there we could pull... do i need an '06 to get the right one or does the newer aveos have the same?? also after doing a bit more research i think whats actually happened is the subframe mounts and bushings likely took a bit of a beating over the years, and then all the lateral g-forces ive been putting on it just worked it loose... prob a combination of things.. hence my thought to just replace the whole thing along with the control arm, an in depth inspection of the rest of the front end.. and then another alignment sesssion that hopefully gets 'er back in spec. Car still handles well but not like the first few months after the lowering session.. cant wait for it to stick like that again.. might even beef it up with the ultraracing front lower braces in the new year in one big session

Thanks
      Just to update this thread, it was the passenger side lower control arm bushing.. was totally shot. Things much better now, still probably have one more loose bushing somewhere.. at this stage of the game.