•  

Thread: Strut mounts

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Strut mounts

I'm new to the Aveo and the forum and I have a problem. I can't stand the floating upper front strut mounts! I don't like the way it handles, the noises it makes, and it doesn't seem safe to me at all. Is there an aftermarket mount that actually bolts to the strut tower? I found one online from Moog that is supposed to be what I'm looking for, but when I tried to research it and find more pics, I couldn't find anything. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Adam

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It's actually a fairly common method of installation, even if it does seem a little hokey - likely all in the name of cost savings.

Any of the OEM style mounts (meaning if you buy them from the dealer, or Moog, etc.) are all going to be very similar to stock - might be able to find some stiffer bushings, but none of them are going to bolt to the tower. In order to bolt it to the tower, you'd have to totally re-engineer the top of the strut assembly to include a bearing so it could rotate when you steer - and given the shape of the housing at the area where the bushing sits, it would probably be a pretty extensive modification; not sure it would be worth the trouble and expense on what is essentially an "econobox" car...

The Aveo isn't really designed to be a bad-ass rally car, more a basic transportation device with a low cost...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I replaced the upper strut mounts with factory replacement about 2 years ago and as soon as I put the car back on the ground I noticed the gap was still there. I thought I did something wrong, so I got it back in the air and took it all apart again and when I put it back together, the gap was still there. I just don't like the design at all. I think I might look for a vehicle that has a swivel bearing type upper mount, maybe Honda or something, and fab up something that is more stable. For now I just need to get it fixed and on the road, but if I decide to modify it, I'll post it and let you know how it works out.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I modded my car and put on lower springs. I noticed my gap got bigger and it's more klunky wonky! ARRRGGGHHH. I remember that it was quiter and did not clunk before the mod. I too will report back if I can get it to swivel and not make noise.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....