•  

Thread: Steering wheel shake at 84 kph, TSB

Steering wheel shake at 84 kph, TSB

Hey.. in replacement to my earlier thread about a wheel vibration, finally there is some new information. Apparerently a TSB just came out for my exact problem, at 84 KPH under coasting or deacceleration, the steeringwheel visibly shakes back and forth. With my 17" rims it was excentuated a lot. 2 cars in the dealer parking lot here have the exact same problem off the lot. Last winter with my stock rims, I didn't notice a shake at all, but now wiht 15K on it, it seems it has become more noticible as things break in / wear. The problem they think is the play in where the steering rod comes down, there is play in the steering box or some component. So long story short, GM is apparently working on a fix that is going to apply to a lot of vehicles that have complaints in about this.

Does anyone have access to this TSB and can post it? It came out about 2 weeks ago.. anyone else notice anything at 84KPH?

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I don't know the exact speed but I also have a shimmy in my wheel on the freeway. I figured my tires were just bad since it just started happening. I have 37,000 miles on my car.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      mine does the same thing but i think its because my 17's arent aligned or balanced right...plus it jiggles the fat off my arms

if you see it happening right around 84 KPH with the stock rims, then it's prolly the same problem.. With my good rims though it ranged from 60k-100kph, depending on the balancing I guess... however, those you discribe could very well be due to the steering rack as well. I'll be sure to post when I finallllly get somewhere...

try getting up to about 87kmh or so, then just let off the gas.. right at about 84 it will get worse likely...

once I get my grubby hands on the tsb, if I can, I might have some more diagnosis information..

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      they are probably just going to add a big piece of rubber somewhere to reduce the viberation

I have an off and on shake/shimmy anywhere between 40-80MPH. I haven't got a front end alignment or tire balance to try and track it down.

How about a steering damper, or do we have one now?

BTW '05 Hatch, 16" Konigs.

Well here goes my sad story.

Long story short, the car was in a the dealer for a few weeks for them to work on it. They gave me a G6 to use in the mean time. When they finally told me it was done, I went in, and they explained that they 'got it as good as they can get it.. at this time'.. and told me maybe in the future they will be able to get it better, when GM gives them a better answer as to what to do to fix the problem. So, they said they wanted to hear form me how it is. So I took the car, drove it for a bit, but, the steering was soooo stiff, it felt like there was no power steering even in the car. I had to turn the steering wheel back straight after making a turn, and it was not fun to drive at all anymore. They changed the alignement , and adjusted it so there was little to no road feel was their fix. So I took it back, said it was undriveable. They gave me a G5, I went home. Next day they said they made it better for tightness, so I went back to get it.. again (FYI, at this point I've had the car in probably 15 + times in the past year for this). I took it for a test drive, and now the steering wheel was a little bit tight still, AND the vibration was back. They said that new ones off the lot had it worse than my car, so I said give me some keys, and I took an 06 with twice the KM as my car, and a brand new one out. Both of them had a lot of road feel in the wheel, that's fine, and that is what they say I'm getting. but the steeringwheel stayed still in those cars.. mine shakes back and forth, liek someone is grabbing on to it and moving it back and forth really fast. I got back, and told them they were BSing me, becuase neither of those cars do what my car was doing. they said they can't do anything else.. so I said forget it, where's the sales guy. Since GM says there is nothing wrong with it, that's great, so I can trade it in. I ended up getting an 06 pursuit, with some extra warranty and some other add on's.. Some other poor soul will get these problems. Makes me very mad, been in a 'GM only' family all my life, but I don't think my next car will be a GM. guess I gotta go somewhere else for any repairs becuase obviously these guys can't fix things. I think I will be better off with this. More trunk space for a possible upcomming family to drive around. I get the pursuit on tuesday, but I'm going to miss my hatchback. I loved the look of the car, but I guess I got a lemon. if anyone is guying a silver hatchback with 17" rims, hope it isn't my car, and make sure you highway test it before signing anything. ohh, and always check up on the service history before buying a car. That would show you everything, if you are buying at a dealer.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      you took it in 15+ times!? you should have went with the lemon laws and gotten another car FOR FREE instead of buying another car

not sure that we have that law here, and well, they were saying it is 'fixed'.. his word against ours.. and I really wasn't too happy with the car.. even for what the car is, they should have done better. I did really like it overall though, just when it got down to the nuts and bolts, well, I just wasn't satisfied.. oh well.. I'm getting married on friday, and kids could be in the future, probably better off with this set up. Sad, I really had high hopes, and loved the look.. but it wasn't meant to be..