•  

Thread: rear sway bar with torsion beam

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

rear sway bar with torsion beam

Topic: rear sway bar with torsion beam (Read 178 times)
      AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

rear sway bar with torsion beam
      « Thread Started on Jul 19, 2006, 9:28pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright this a rearswaybar and torsion beam setup from an xb...it would be nice to transfer this idea to the aveo but i am trying to understand what the swaybars do....for a while now ive been looking at our front setup to see how to apply it to the rear...in the front there are endlinkings attached to the struts and what do the mounts in the middle attach to? now in this back swap bar setup it seem like the sway bar is just attached to the trailing arm and thats it and it also just follows the path of the torsion beam so how does it help?
      Link to Post - Back to Top 205.188.116.65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      CHECK OUT MY AVEO
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224437

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

Re: rear sway bar with torsion beam
      « Reply #1 on Jul 21, 2006, 12:32am »

does this one look more functional?

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #2 on Jul 21, 2006, 12:36am »

i would ask the scion owners but they seem to not agree on which is better but most say the second one i posted is more functional but the others say that the second one puts to much stress on the strut mounts.....but from what i understand now is that a sway bar attachs to a suspension part and a part from the frame

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

subachad
      Regular User

« Reply #3 on Jul 21, 2006, 12:03pm »

either one of those would work. As for pressure on the bolts, well they are tough and can take it.

What the bar does is resist the twisting motion in the rear suspension so when one tire goes up, the other one will also. Make sense? Imagine if you had a smaller version of your swaybar in your hand and twist one end. It's hard to twist unless the other side goes up too. This is why cars like the mazdaspeed protege with large swaybars will lift a tire when pulling up a ramp.
      Link to Post - Back to Top 209.223.191.234

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #4 on Jul 21, 2006, 12:55pm »

alright next question...what would be a good size thickness to make this...from what ive seen alot of other hatches use a thicker sway bar in the back and run a smaller one in the front
      Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.66

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

subachad
      Regular User

« Reply #5 on Jul 21, 2006, 2:16pm »

The size depends on where the suspension pickups are, the size of the front, the weight of the car, the height of the car, the type of handling you are going for, etc...

Basically they would have to make one, test the car out and adjust accordingly. Preferably the bar will have 3 settings available to suit each driver or car. For example a stock aveo will need a softer bar than a dropped aveo otherwise it could be oversteer happy.

I just sent an email to progress requesting a rear bar be produced, I'll post up the response when I get one.

I sent one to Whiteline and they currently have no plans of making swaybars for the aveo/barina since there is not enough demand.

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #6 on Jul 21, 2006, 6:00pm »

alright i guess ill read some more and find out what thickness their progressive is and make my own and see if it works

found something else too...it has a diagram to explain sway bars
      http://www.hotchkistuning.com/bin/Misc/ ... Tech-D.pdf

also i think id go with 22mm in the back to try out.
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 6:30pm by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.66

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

subachad
      Regular User

« Reply #7 on Jul 21, 2006, 6:57pm »

I would start with a 22mm also, just make 3 bolt holes on the ends which will give you adjustability.

Here is the response from Progress regarding a rear sway bar.

Chad,

As of right now we don't foresee a production run of rear-sway bars for
      that particular vehicle. For us to decide that a product is worth it to
      make, we would need to make and sell at least 50 of these bars. Right
      now is also a particularly bad season for us because as 2007 nears,
      there are more and more new cars being released, which means we have all
      sorts of new projects that we are already taking on.

We generally develop our new products at the time a vehicle is released,
      so it is fairly unlikely that we will ever backtrack to make a product
      for that vehicle, primarily because we have never seen any demand for
      it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks,

Joey Berry

vincentvii
      Diesel User

Section 9 employee

« Reply #8 on Jul 21, 2006, 8:16pm »

chad, post progress's email address and I'll spam them.
      Link to Post - Back to Top 216.140.58.174

Brian5475E
      Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #9 on Jul 23, 2006, 12:05pm »

Same here, I'll post it on other sites
      Link to Post - Back to Top 72.49.238.137

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #10 on Jul 24, 2006, 9:40am »

alright i was checking out the setup we have in the back and the first sway bar i posted doesnt look like it will work on our car but the second one will. the only problem might be the stock muffler and its position
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2006, 9:45am by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 205.188.116.65

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

AveoSam
      Administrator

Rice Cooker
      member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #11 on Jul 24, 2006, 9:54am »

now that i looks at that second sway bar its looks rather simple....the endlinks look to be just threaded rods with 2 bolts and 2 polyurethane inserts holding the sway bar to the endlinks and the 2 more bolts and 2 more urethane inserts holding the endlinks to the mount....alright now for the two middle mounts, i dont think we can use a u bolt setup like that because of the way are torsion beam is, but the torsion beam looks wide enough to mount mounts like we have up front...now my question is, would drilling the holes to mount the urethane mounts in the torsion beam be a bad idea? the hardest part to find is probably going to the swap...where would i get a bar like that where the ends are flat?

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

exodus
      Nitrous User

« Reply #12 on Jul 27, 2006, 7:47pm »

I just took a hard drive and I think I might be totally against a rear sway bar.

The rear end is really squirrelly as it is... linking the two sides even more would just make it worse. Stiffer springs and shocks would be the way to go, I think.
      Link to Post - Back to Top 69.168.52.141

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it."

[/img]

In my experience, rear sway bars are useless in both FWD's and especially in tosion beam suspensions.

You're more likely to get a performance gain in suspension handling by using better shocks and struts.

And for the love of goodness... DON'T TRY TO MAKE YOUR OWN SAWY BARS. Unless you have a blast furnace and can heat treat the metal to "Spring steel" specs, then I don't reccommend you slap a piece of brittle steel to your suspension. A bent swaybar would be dangerous... terribly dangerous (think of it like this... steel is very strong but rarely is flexible, once you bend it, it stays... if the suspension moves, the steel bends... if it stays that way, your car could be leaning or stuck in wheel compression... both of which are bad things)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i have a rear sway bar in my matrix....tightens up the rear nicely...