•  

Thread: Rear Drum Brakes (2007 Model)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Rear Drum Brakes (2007 Model)

Hey there!

Just had a brake inspection done and it was determined that I need to get my rear drums replaced within the next three months. Furthermore, I should replace both rear wheel cylinders and "steel brake lines from wheel cylinders to rear flex lines".

I found the part number for the rear wheel cylinder but GM wants $112 EACH!
      Here's the OEM part: Amazon.com: ACDelco 174-1117 OE Service Rear Brake Cylinder Assembly: Automotive
      Here's a comparable one: Amazon.com: ACDelco 18E1412 Durastop Professional Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder: Automotive

Perhaps a stupid question, but is it really worth more than 5x the price to get the OEM part or should the comparable one get the job done just as well?

And lastly, I have to replace that "steel brake line" between the wheel cylinders and flex lines however I am unsure what part number that is. If anyone could provide some insight into that I would appreciate it!

EDIT: I think this is the steel brake pipe that the mechanic was referring to. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-964702...1&s=automotive
      Do you know if this would work for either the left or right side or are they separate part numbers?

Last edited by chrisu91; 05-23-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      shop on rock auto instead.

i never suggest your brakes will last a particular length of time. And I hear a lot of "should"s in there.

a wheel cylinder along with most brake components are either good or bad. they are not "should" parts like a timing belt.

a recommendation of replacing the rear drums in the next three months doesn't way on anything. What measuring system is he using? if you were told you had your breaks for 10k miles they are half worn so you should get them done in 8-10k miles would make more sense, but the is no way to predict how it will wear in distance or time.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      They said the shoes had about 3mm left and the drums are rusted. Furthermore, they said the wheel cylinders are difficult to move back. I haven't had them done in the 7.5 years I've had the vehicle so I'm confident things need to be replaced.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I got new wheel cylinders at Advanced for my 07 for ~$18. I am still working on the job, so I can't say how good they are.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Question regarding installing the rear drum brakes. I finished one side....all new springs and boots. However, I thought that the boots would bump up completely against the wheel cylinder...against the metal that pushes against the boots to apply braking. There is a gap between them. Does anyone know if this should be the case? Maybe I'm missing something.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      IF you buy wheel cylinders and install them, you need to bleed your brake system to remove the air from the system.

Also do not pump un the brakes without the drum on there, as once you get pressure, you will most likely blow the cylinder apart since there is no brake to hold the cylinder together.