•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about suspension

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question about suspension

hey guys i have a 2008 aveo and im using eibach lowering springs on it right now. The eibachs are the only suspension mod i have done so far. What else can i do to complete the set up? i heard there are some kyb parts out there or something? i dont really know too much about this stuff. any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      If you are looking for easy stuff to bolt on, look up in the search bar, Ultra Racing they sell some really good racing strut bars and body braces. KYB makes good struts but from what I heard from this forum they are not defined as performance, but more as a better-than-OEM part

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jriggs87 View Post
      If you are looking for easy stuff to bolt on, look up in the search bar, Ultra Racing they sell some really good racing strut bars and body braces. KYB makes good struts but from what I heard from this forum they are not defined as performance, but more as a better-than-OEM part
      oh ok. so to have a full suspension set up like to make it the best it can be i would need:

1. lowering springs (which i already have)
      2. ?
      3. ?
      4. ?
      5. ?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      struts, shocks (there are no 'performance' parts for the aveo yet)
      Ultra racing has a Rear Sway bar, rear tower bar, front strut/tower bar, front lower brace. like i said type in the search bar on this forum and there are guys with these bars on their cars you can see how to install them and stuff.
      Petrified Rabbit is a forum member and he has a bunch of custom stuff that he has for the aveo. Coilovers, sway bar end links, etc... message him, or he should chime in on this thread soon.
      You can try looking up control arms or just get better bushing for your control arm bushings and tie rod end bushings if you will keep them stock
      this isnt very much suspension, but if you want to handle better, get a camber kit and give your car a camber that will increase tire tread when in turns. they help reduce the intertia your car produces and help your car turn more quickly.

google, ebay, and this forum will be your best friend. at the same time, there isnt much of a market for an economy car like the aveo. in the amount of money you would spend on your suspension, i would put it away for another car with more of an aftermarket market, like the cobalt. but its always cool to be different and if you must do stuff to your aveo be willing to spend big bucks. all of the Ultra Racing bars I described come out to about $680 bucks.

Thanks
      struts, shocks (there are no 'performance' parts for the aveo yet)
      Ultra racing has a Rear Sway bar, rear tower bar, front strut/tower bar, front lower brace. like i said type in the search bar on this forum and there are guys with these bars on their cars you can see how to install them and stuff.
      Petrified Rabbit is a forum member and he has a bunch of custom stuff that he has for the aveo. Coilovers, sway bar end links, etc... message him, or he should chime in on this thread soon.
      You can try looking up control arms or just get better bushing for your control arm bushings and tie rod end bushings if you will keep them stock
      this isnt very much suspension, but if you want to handle better, get a camber kit and give your car a camber that will increase tire tread when in turns. they help reduce the intertia your car produces and help your car turn more quickly.

google, ebay, and this forum will be your best friend. at the same time, there isnt much of a market for an economy car like the aveo. in the amount of money you would spend on your suspension, i would put it away for another car with more of an aftermarket market, like the cobalt. but its always cool to be different and if you must do stuff to your aveo be willing to spend big bucks. all of the Ultra Racing bars I described come out to about $680 bucks.
      So are these struts and shocks two pieces I need to buy or that's one piece? Sorry I'm a bit of a newb. also, so is the kyb the only ones available? Or ultra racing makes them too?

Also, what is camber kit and what does it do?
      Last edited by wave08cruisin; 02-08-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Im amazed nobody else has chimed in, I am not a proffessional either!

Camber is the angle of the tire in relation to the road's surface. Its difficult to explain, but if you give your car negative camber, it will make the top of the tire point more inward to the car and the bottom of the tire more outward. Done CORRECTLY can give your car the ability to turn better, Incorrectly will result in making your car look stupid, as well as hindering braking, accelerating, and abnormal/costly tire wear. Google is your best friend. type in Negative Camber and images will show up with some good and bad examples of this modification.

Shocks and struts are two different things, shocks are actually called dampers but we Americans always like to screw with the english language. In the front of alot of cars, the shock and strut normally comes as an assembly, whereas the rear normally comes with just a shock.

Hopefully someone can hit what I have missed and add to what I have said. Hope this helps

Thanks
      Im amazed nobody else has chimed in, I am not a proffessional either!

Camber is the angle of the tire in relation to the road's surface. Its difficult to explain, but if you give your car negative camber, it will make the top of the tire point more inward to the car and the bottom of the tire more outward. Done CORRECTLY can give your car the ability to turn better, Incorrectly will result in making your car look stupid, as well as hindering braking, accelerating, and abnormal/costly tire wear. Google is your best friend. type in Negative Camber and images will show up with some good and bad examples of this modification.

Shocks and struts are two different things, shocks are actually called dampers but we Americans always like to screw with the english language. In the front of alot of cars, the shock and strut normally comes as an assembly, whereas the rear normally comes with just a shock.

Hopefully someone can hit what I have missed and add to what I have said. Hope this helps
      oh ok, interesting so if i were to order shocks and struts, only the front needs struts and the back does not? also what brand is best? i know there is kyb but you said ultra racing makes them too?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      No, Ultra racing does not make struts. Go to Rockauto.com search for your car and you will find all the parts you need. From what I saw struts are made by KYB, monroe, and ACDelco. there are now struts for the rear, just the sprins, which you have already replaced, and then the shock absorber. I keep saying, Google, ebay, summitracing, jegs, rockauto, etc etc they are your best friends!

Thanks
      No, Ultra racing does not make struts. Go to Rockauto.com search for your car and you will find all the parts you need. From what I saw struts are made by KYB, monroe, and ACDelco. there are now struts for the rear, just the sprins, which you have already replaced, and then the shock absorber. I keep saying, Google, ebay, summitracing, jegs, rockauto, etc etc they are your best friends!

cool sorry one last request. can you make me a list of all the suspension mods i can do?

1. springs (front / rear)

and so on.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      2. Shocks and Struts
      3. better bushings
      4. Camber
      5. Ultra Racing bars (there are 4 of them)

with all of that you are looking at about $1000 in parts alone.
      talk to petrified rabbit, he can give you much more info, as well as the other senior members and admins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast