•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh s;&:t my TPMS is starting to fail! (And how I fixed it)

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

Oh s;&:t my TPMS is starting to fail! (And how I fixed it)

back in January, every time I would take a trip longer than 30 minutes, my TPMS light would start flashing indicating a serious problem with the system. None of my scan tools I had at the time could read the TPMS system so I ignored it. I then watched a video on YouTube about a guy rebuilding a salvage Corvette Grand Sport (it wouldn’t start because the body shop stole the ECM) and he showed off a little tool that he hooked up to a laptop and to that corvette called a VCX Nano. Turned out they have a version of the VCX Nano that has the Tech2Win software that enabled him to do all of the relearns that his new ECM needed to get the corvette started. One trip to Amazon later and spending $129, and I now had the same diagnostic capability as a GM Dealership! I plugged that tool into Scootaloo, and lo and behold, I had a C0755; which told me that my right front sensor had reached the end of its service life. I did some research, and surprise surprise; GM discontinued the factory sensors. Not wanting to get burned again by my local Stealership (It was going to be over $600 to have them to replace my sensors) it was back to Amazon and I found a full set of the superseded sensors for around the same cost of a single sensor at the dealership. Installation was not too bad, Scootaloo needed new tires anyway; and I got a screaming deal on a set of Hankook Optimos for less than $200 at my workplace! The relearn process for my new sensors was pretty easy too with that VCX Nano (It also helped that I had bought an Autel TS501 TPMS tool for relearning the sensors on our Suzuki SX4 after it had some sensors replaced too) and now my TPMS system is good to go for another 10 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-23-2018)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      This could not be better timing since my TPMS warning light has started flashing recently on my 09.

I just ordered the scanner you mentioned. Can you post the link to the sensors you used? I expect they are likely the same for our vehicles.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      This could not be better timing since my TPMS warning light has started flashing recently on my 09.

I just ordered the scanner you mentioned. Can you post the link to the sensors you used? I expect they are likely the same for our vehicles.
      Sure; these are the sensors I used: ACDelco 13598771 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS Set of Four (4) ACDelco 13598771 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS Set of Four (4)

I got a whole set because if one was failing now, the other three probably aren’t far behind. See if you can borrow a TPMS exciter tool for the relearn procedure. You will need one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

EAD15 (06-10-2018)

Thanks
      Once I confirm the problem, I'll probably buy the sensors and take it to a tire shop for install/activation. I am not properly equipped to do anything with the tires other than checking tire pressures.

Thanks for the link!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (06-10-2018)

Thanks
      Once I confirm the problem, I'll probably buy the sensors and take it to a tire shop for install/activation. I am not properly equipped to do anything with the tires other than checking tire pressures.

Thanks for the link!

Not a problem, You are likely going to see one of these 4 codes; and if your tires have ever been below the pressure threshold, you will also see the DTCs C0775, C0776, C0777, and C0778 stored in history. with yours being an 09, I’m surprised your sensors lasted this long!

Thanks
      Supposedly, the average battery life for a TPMS sensor is supposed to be around 10 years based on the little research I did today so I'm just about there. Based on some cutaways I saw online it looks like a standard button cell battery so I'm not sure why they couldn't just make the batteries replaceable, profit margins via planned obsolescence not withstanding (which is the reason, I'm sure).

Thanks for the code list!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (06-11-2018)

Thanks
      Supposedly, the average battery life for a TPMS sensor is supposed to be around 10 years based on the little research I did today so I'm just about there. Based on some cutaways I saw online it looks like a standard button cell battery so I'm not sure why they couldn't just make the batteries replaceable, profit margins via planned obsolescence not withstanding (which is the reason, I'm sure).

Thanks for the code list!
      Again, no problem! We gotta keep our Aveos on the road somehow!

Thanks
      I noticed on the Amazon page that it specifies that you must be running a 32-bit version of windows. There is a comment about getting it to work on 64-bit windows but the instructions are incomplete and this device doesn't come with any help info so, now that I've got it working, I'm going to share what I did.

Also, for anyone that buys this, the software comes on a DVD so you will need to have a dvd reader for your computer (internal or external). I would suggest copying the data from the disc to your computer instead of trying to install everything via the disk.

Installation:
      1. Install "VMware-Player".
      2. Install "VX Manager". I suggest trying to install all the communication options it offers, most will fail, but it won't hurt anything.
      3. Open the "Tech2Win" folder and run the "AutoInstall" file. Let it do it's thing and install whatever it needs (there are several items).
      4. A reboot wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.
      You will now need to configure the device before plugging it into your car.

Configuring device
      1. Plug the adapter into your computer with the supplied USB cord. A couple LEDs should light up and then it will beep.
      2. Launch "VX Manager" from your start menu (this can take a minute)
      3. Verify the adapter is detected then click "firmware" and upgrade (not sure if necessary, but no harm) then close the firmware window when done.
      4. Click "Diagnostic" at the top of the VX Manager window. You should have 2 options in "My Apps", "Passthru" and "GM GDS2/T2W".
      5. Open each of the options and click "install". (internet connection required, from what I can tell)
      You should be ready to connect to the car now. I suggest closing VX Manager before connecting

Connecting to the car
      1. Plug the adapter into your OBD port and the USB cable into your computer. (Make sure key is in "run" position, at minimum)
      2. Launch VX Manager and verify it detects the adapter
      3. From the previously mentioned "diagnostic" page click "Passthru" then "run". This will launch the J2534Tool interface.
      4. On the right, verify "Bosch - MDI" is selected in the "J2534 interface" section then click "LoadDLL". (Again, not sure if this is necessary, but doesn't hurt)
      5. Launch the Tech2Win program from your start menu.
      6. Select the "North American" configuration option and a new window will open
      7. Tech2Win will ask which manufacturer you want to use. Select the top option if not already selected and click OK. A new window will appear
      8. Select the interface that has USB after it (should be the only option anyway)
      9. The Tech2 software will initialize and run a quick self-test. Hit [enter] when prompted and you will be at the menu interface.
      You are now able to interact with the software and car.

A caveat:
      Selecting the correct vehicle can be a bit of trial and error. Make sure you know what type of engine you have (2009 US Aveo5 is the 1.6L LXV engine). You'll know when you get to the right screen then.

One final note: You will see a "keypad" to the right of the display screen. While you can interact with the Tech2 software using your keyboard (and mouse in a few places) there are a few things that seem to require actually clicking the buttons on the keypad in order to work.

From my limited testing, it does seem to be able to read any and all systems in the car including the SRS codes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (06-14-2018),Slow-But-Fast (08-03-2018)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Do you know if this device and software will read ABS codes ?

Thanks ,
      Wyr

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (07-23-2018)

Thanks
      Solid "maybe" from what I can tell just poking around the software. My car doesn't have ABS so I can't test it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast