•  

Thread: no clue whats going on ....

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

no clue whats going on ....

2010 aveo lt auto 93k

Bought the car in 2012 so my daughter had a ride for work/college, maybe a year later we noticed an annoying "rattle" in the pass rear but could never track down its source. She graduates locks down a killer job and hands it back deciding shed rather have a new jeep, anyhow.....the rattle is still there but now the car handles absolutely HORRIBLE, it feels like it has a wobble in the drivers side front, it feels like it has a shimmy from side to side, and add to that now, the rear, when going over a bump of any size, skips/kicksout/hops to the pass side, same side as the rattle. It literally skips a foot to the side, never had any vehicle ive ever owned do such a thing and its to the point my son says he considers it dangerous to drive. Its been in the air and checked underneath several times now and nobody can find absolutely anything loose or damaged. Car had 33k on it when purchased and has nothing known ever done to the suspension

Any ideas?? what is going on ??

Wants to develop manifold
      Thanks
      The upper strut mounts? Those are notorious for wearing thin and allowing excessive play in the suspension. Try the strut and shock mounts.

Thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'd check the motor mounts, particularly the transmission mount located under the battery tray (assuming the second gen mount is located in the same place as the first gen).

Thanks
      I'm curious avguy, why do you say that? Do you think the motor is sliding around? That wouldn't explain the rear noise or sway in the rear.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I'm curious avguy, why do you say that? Do you think the motor is sliding around? That wouldn't explain the rear noise or sway in the rear.
      Actually the OP described this as 'jumping/skipping up to a foot when going over bumps'. That's quite a bit different than a sway, and I can't tie that into anything related to the front-end, except for a motor mount. Of course, it could be that there are multiple problems (front and rear) with his Aveo.

Over that past 2 years I've replaced just about every suspension/steering component on both of our Aveos. Although some of the parts were fairly well worn, all I ever had in either vehcle was a bit of clunking, along with some growling from a bad wheel bearing. IMO, there is nothing short of a completely severed part that could even begin to explain what the OP described.

But more important than the JMO stuff above, the OP stated that multiple shops examined the vehicle. It's inconceivable to me that even an average mechanic wouldn't be able to spot the cause of a problem as major as what the OP described. So that led me down the motor mount path, especially since the transmission mount that I mentioned previously is fairly well hidden from top or underside view. The mechanics would need to grab hold of the transmission and shake it, in order to realize that that mount is bad, and that's something they very well might have failed to do.

We don't have hands-on with other people's problems, and can only rely on what the poster writes. I'm taking what he wrote to be the facts, and my comments are based on that alone. If something important is missing or incorrect, then all bets are off. And of course those mechanics could have missed something, such as a completely broken strut mount as you mentioned, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't.

Thanks
      Well said avguy. I think you are onto something.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would imagine most of the issues in the front is wheel bearings.
      But I would also suggest struts, mounts, tie rods and a arms to be checked.

Tie rods or just the ends could cause the sideways hop. But the depending on what you say is a hop, lack of a sway bar could feel the same. Check for a missing end link?

The rear I would say it sounds like the noise you hear could be the exhaust being hit by the axle beam.