•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change drivers side lower control arm that bolts are hard to get off...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

How to change drivers side lower control arm that bolts are hard to get off...

Hello all im new here... I have a 2005 aveo that i have been trying to get this off for a few days and it seems like im getting no where.. I have been using a battery powered impact wrench, breaker bar, pb blaster... Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      What's not coming out - front (relative to the vehicle), back, or both bolts?

Thanks
      The back bolt that has the square nut on it...

Thanks
      That rear bolt seizes (think JB Weld) to the bushing inner sleeve, and becomes captive inside of the K frame. This happened on all 4 of those bolts on our 2 Aveos, so at least it's consistent.

I had good success cutting the bolt with a reciprocating saw, using a new 6" Diablo blade (a lesser/older blade would probably work, just slower). There are access slots above and below the bushing, which allow the blade to fit in, comfortably away from the K frame while cutting.

Doesn't matter too much how the bottom cut is done, because that part of the bolt will just knock out. But cut as close to the bushing as possible on top, in order to leave as much bolt as possible to grab onto. The first top cut I made didn't leave much to grab with a vise-grip, and ended up being a bitch to turn out. I mede certain to not repeat that mistake.

There might be other ways to remove that bolt when seized, but I'm not aware (and can't imagine) what they might be.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-04-2017),moyerfan (08-07-2017)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      That rear bolt seizes (think JB Weld) to the bushing inner sleeve, and becomes captive inside of the K frame. This happened on all 4 of those bolts on our 2 Aveos, so at least it's consistent.

I had good success cutting the bolt with a reciprocating saw, using a new 6" Diablo blade (a lesser/older blade would probably work, just slower). There are access slots above and below the bushing, which allow the blade to fit in, comfortably away from the K frame while cutting.

Doesn't matter too much how the bottom cut is done, because that part of the bolt will just knock out. But cut as close to the bushing as possible on top, in order to leave as much bolt as possible to grab onto. The first top cut I made didn't leave much to grab with a vise-grip, and ended up being a bitch to turn out. I mede certain to not repeat that mistake.

There might be other ways to remove that bolt when seized, but I'm not aware (and can't imagine) what they might be.

Thank you for the reply..That is as far as i got to the back one i have yet to try to get the front one loose..
      Last edited by moyerfan; 08-07-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
      The front bolt is a totally different story, and is likely to be much more work if it's seized because there are no access points to get at that bolt inside of the K frame. Thankfully, all 4 of those on my vehicles just turned right out with no issues, so I don't have any first-hand experience with forcing that one out. However, there was another guy on this forum who had the exact opposite experience than I did. I believe he ended up cutting an opening into the K frame, in order to get the bolt out, and back in. Hopefully that does not happen with your Aveo!

Thanks
      The front bolt is a totally different story, and is likely to be much more work if it's seized because there are no access points to get at that bolt inside of the K frame. Thankfully, all 4 of those on my vehicles just turned right out with no issues, so I don't have any first-hand experience with forcing that one out. However, there was another guy on this forum who had the exact opposite experience than I did. I believe he ended up cutting an opening into the K frame, in order to get the bolt out, and back in. Hopefully that does not happen with your Aveo!
      I hope mine is like yours was...Fingers crossed.

Thanks
      One other thing, assuming you do cut one or more bolts. You will of course need replacements. I have a U-pull close by and pulled out 4 FRONT bolts from 2 dead Aveos. The rear bolts on those vehicles were, of course, all seized. You can also buy them from Chevy but, like with most of their parts, you'll probably pay way more than you should be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

moyerfan (08-07-2017)

Thanks
      I called chevy and for the 2 bolts and nuts they want 10 dollars and some change...

Thanks
      I have another question i have looked at many things on the net, which is the best way to go about getting the front bolt that has the transmission in the way..Do you jack it up far enough to get the bolt out or do you have to loosen the bolt on the transmission to get it out? i have read you can do it either way. just dont know which way is best...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast