•  

Thread: Good midrange all weather tires that won't break the bank

What's wrong with my car? minionaveo's Avatar
      Thanks

Smile Good midrange all weather tires that won't break the bank

Hi, I apologize if a there is already a thread for this, but I didn't see one.

I am looking for some reasonably priced mid-range tires that will not break the bank. I have searched and seen that many places in my city do not have my size in stock (P185/60R14 82H) for my 2009 Aveo5. So either way they would have to be ordered.
      I would appreciate some suggestions of good brands. I see so many out there and in the past I have bought cheap tires but would like to buy a decent brand that will not break the bank.

Thanks in advance.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      just bought set of Achilles 185/55/15 less than $50 per tire. these are 15 in. so you will have get 15 in.wheels ..factory alum on LT Aveo5 these are gatorback tread design , which means they are directional, so can only rotate front to back , not across ,happy hunting

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I still can't believe 185/60r14 are suggested to be rare, aside from the fact most newer cars don't use 14's any more. So many cars have used them in the past. VW, chevy, etc.

My suggestion to you is to shop eBay, tires-easy.com, discounttiredirect.com, even tire rack and possibly do a general google shopping search. Don't pick sites that you feel uncomfortable with, or that do not allow you to pay through paypal. (I always use paypal for a level of protection online). Shop tire specs, pick a tread design based off preference, (V grove, touring, etc). But the specs you want to look at for longevity is strictly tread wear. The higher the number the longer the tire should last.

Stores like firestone, goodyear, etc sell tires that are 30, 50, 60k mile tires.. That is total BS. If you want a long lasting tire, your performance suffers some. 500+ tread wear should last a long time, but will not stick to the road. <300 tread wear will not last long at all. I typically buy around a 250-350 (300 preferred) for my cars, but 400-500 for my wife's car. I do not care much about name of the brands, as long as they are DOT approved and offer the specs they have lasted generally as well as most $$ tires with a brand you hear regularly.

Firestone, walmart, sears all install tires for about $120. So add that to your cost. Walmart tires online can be installed by them if you deliver to store, same with sears. That makes it slightly easier for general buyers. They often have good prices on tires as well when looking online.

Remember though, knowing the tread wear specs is important. If the tire does not tell you, and you cannot find it in a separate search, don't buy it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-4XS...=sem#read-more

Is a sumitomo rebrand, it would be 31.77 plus 13 each installed. That is 44.77, plus tax and fees, you would be under $200 for 4 tires installed. Although the specs are not listed on walmart, https://www.tiresavings.com lists it as a 400 tread wear tire. Which is a very nice well rounded number for daily driving in both performance and longevity.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Check out Hankook tires. They have the Optimo H724 all-season tires in the size you need.