•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: front wheel bearings on 2004 Aveo

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DailyDriverMark View Post
      Then just work on prying the bearing off the hub once there pulled? I cant see how I'll get the knuckle on a press with the hub in the way...as a matter of fact, thats how I took the knuckle to a shop and they said, I'd have to remove the hub first before they could press the bearing out.

What Id really like to know is if its ok to use the axle to drive the hub out with the FWD hub removal tool.. When you turn the removal screw inward against the snout of the axle it starts pushing the axle back inward.. I didnt want to be forcing the axle back into the tranny or damaging the CV joints so I stopped after about an inch of inward travel. Does it eventually stop and allow the tool to get the needed pressure on the hub? Or will I be damaging things?
      The shop you took it too just didnt want to do the job plain and simple, I replaced my right front bearing a little over a month ago, i removed the whole knuckle assembly carried it to the press we have in our shop, and pressed out the hub, then pressed out the bearing, pressed new bearing in, pressed hub back in.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      What the fuzuk. Those goons. Thanks for lettin me know. I took a bailout plan... I found a spindle assy from the wreckers with 70k miles and a 6 month gaurantee, for $40. I installed it and the new tie rod last night 'till 2:30am. Rides nice and quiet again, so I guess I'm good to go for now.
      Last edited by DailyDriverMark; 06-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      one way or another, atleast your back on the road, $40 isnt too bad, honestly it would probably cost 1 hour labor to press out a hub and then press out a bearing, the shop I work in, our labor rate is $95/hr

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The front bearing on these are a bit of a pain to do. did mine last month after murdering them at track day, plus they were due having 155,000km on them. I managed to get the hub assembly apart, but the bearing had to be pulled and inserted by a shop, only 50$, no biggie. hardest part was finding a shop willing to do that. most refused saying they only do full jobs, or didnt have time for it. Took the guy who did i finally about 5 minutes each assembly, though it sat on the bench for about 20 minutes of waiting till he got to doing it.
      Was more of a pain than the bearing on my brother cavalier, which was a breeze aside from the knuckle and hub assemblies being fused with rust.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      ok guys if you just flip the entire spin dal upside down so the hub is facing downward the put a 20mm socket inside the wheel hub from the back a swat it with a large hammer waaalaaaa press's the hub out from the back you can youtube how to remove toyota wheel bearing and there is a guy who shows u how to do it although its a toyota works the same here just did mine........if the bearing race gets stuck don't waste your time trying to pry it off cut if off and save your time

Thanks
      Saw a couple of youtube videos and a thread on this forum where guys removed the old bearings and pressed in the new bearings in place using a slide hammer and bearing adapter kit. Is this really easy enough to do in place with a bearing adaptor kit or is it better to remove the entire spindle and take to a shop to have the bearings pressed? Someone at O'Reilly told me that a bearing adaptor kit can't be used to press in the new bearings that it needed to go to a shop. Harbor Freight has a bearing adapter kit for in-place replacement. What are thoughts here, try in place replacement or take off the spindle and have the bearings pressed at a shop?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gman8321 View Post
      ... Someone at O'Reilly told me that a bearing adaptor kit can't be used to press in the new bearings that it needed to go to a shop. ...
      So that means I (and many others) have accomplished the impossible

Maybe that guy should try flipping burgers, because he sure doesn't know much about auto repair.

Read through this thread one more time, and also the one below.

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f76/1...project-21243/

Thanks
      I used this set directly on the car to change mine, but pretty much anything similar from any brand should work fine. Once the axle is out it's fairly easy to get the bearing itself out and the new one back in.

For the axle, you can do it with a slidehammer, but it's a PITA and requires a lot of effort. I just did both front bearings with one but I'll probably try getting the bridge if I ever need replace them again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12