•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragging Front Passenger Side Brake Caliper Diagnosed

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

Dragging Front Passenger Side Brake Caliper Diagnosed

This has happened at least two times before and anywhere that experiences winters and road salting one can expect a seized (Edit: not yet, seizing) brake caliper to happen from time to time (my sisters 4 yr old honda already happened on the rear calipers, these calipers, rotors and pads are 3 1/2 yrs old circa april '14). It is my understanding that if you get it at the start you will save your rotor and having to buy a new caliper. So I'm documenting this because it might help someone else who also has more time on their hands than cash to burn at a shop.
      For those who don't know me I'm a beginner mechanic with a fabricators mind - think good looking geek but no idea that more than half of car repair has to do with rusty nuts/bolts, broken studs, hacksaws, penetration lubricants of all kinds, blowtorches (yes two, are better than one apparently), and the cutting torch. I love this car because its proven to be cheap to maintain and modify.
      So its a passenger front dragging caliper we got here, doing it myself this time because there is access to a residential garage with halogen lights that warm things up enough to be tolerable. By jacking up the front, removing the rims, fully applying the brakes and then spinning the wheels its totally apparent - the passenger front tire not only is waay stiff to rotate but it makes a light scraping sound as it turns. Also the pad has 1/8" less chuch on it than the drivers side. Uh ooh, should have done this sooner, I say to myself.
      First off, what this forum already has on the topic based upon my choice of relevant search keywords:
      Brake Trouble
      Replacing front brake rotors
      Wheel Shake
      Next up:
      -to see if I can get this caliper to smoothly operate again, using the caliper tool and wood
      -if so will do the same to drivers side caliper since its probably close to same
      -lastly, to discuss bleeding not just the fronts, but the rears, and whether the brake fluid should be swapped out
      Thats all for today, back to work.

Last edited by northguest47; 12-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      HUHHHHHHHHHHH????

By jacking up the front, removing the rims, fully applying the brakes and then spinning the wheels its totally apparent - the passenger front tire not only is waay stiff to rotate but it makes a light scraping sound as it turns.
      First, if you removed the rim, how did you spin the wheel? Also, If you fully apply the brakes, the wheels shouldnt move at all. And if you dont apply the brakes, having a little bit of drag and slight scraping sound on the pads is normal.

Also, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. Because of this, it should be replaced every 2-3 years as routine maintenance. You also live in Canada; road salt will do damage the the caliper pistons and seals overtime; you can get a new set of front calipers for around $100. Pushing in the piston might free up a dragging caliper for now, but youre better of just replacing them. You can also get a set of rotors and pads off Amazon for pretty cheap as well.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      First, if you removed the rim, how did you spin the wheel? Also, If you fully apply the brakes, the wheels shouldnt move at all. And if you dont apply the brakes, having a little bit of drag and slight scraping sound on the pads is normal.
      Thx for the reply - to clarify I did a full brake application on the pedal, then releasing (ie. by myself) and then went back to the wheels, in order to get maximum friction on the rotors. Each wheel was spun using the rotor. I know what you mean about a 'bit' of drag is ok, thats how I compared the drivers side to the passenger side. Passenger side way more friction, way more scrape sound.
      Brake fluid flush will be in the works, just not in this session. Have to yewe tuber it first.
      Slayerized, I wish calipers were as inexpensive here as they are in the US but they aren't - all auto parts seem to be waay cheaper there I wish worked across the border, but point taken. Still if its just the sliders and some piston friction I can free up, thats good for now, you see if I replace the rotors and calipers, I'd really like to put a bigger set on, like the Brembos one other forum member that I can't remember had.
      Heres what I got done so far:
      Name:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  48.1 KBName:  IMG_1461.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  45.2 KBName:  IMG_1462.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  59.3 KB
      This is the drivers side, which is working fine, thought to start with that side so now I know how much chuch I had to put on the c-clamp to squish the piston. When I over extended the piston I made sure to put a piece of wood there to simulate the rotor. It was not much torque needed on the c-clamp to push the piston back in, now I tried to 'memorize' that so when I get to the passenger side I have some sort of comparison.
      Then I just wire brushed the shart out of everything, put anti-seize on the slider pins and spun them around and pushed them in and out, they definitely are more 'springy' now. Then re-assembled it all.
      *Note - the pads had more wear on the outside one, the one with the marker on it. I was thinking to reverse them so that the pad wear gets more even but then since the rotor is mated to the pads the way they are I thought to put them back in the same way.
      Off to do the other side...

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      There is definitely no need to put Brembo brakes or any larger, custom brake kits on an Aveo. The car itself is light, and unless your doing autocross or rally racing (which I dont know why you be doing in an Aveo anyway), there is absolutely no need.

Also, you probably damaged the brake pads by apply a c-camp directly over the friction material of the brake. And while some pads you can reverse from the outside portion of the rotor to the inside, or vice-versa, there are some you cannot. If both pads have metal shims on them, you can reverse them. But if one of the pads as a rubber shim, you cannot use that of the piston side of the caliper; the piston will wear through the rubber in a matter of days.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Good to know, about the brakes and the c-clamp, Slayerized - the drivers side piston compressed really easily and I didn't bottom it out hard so I hope no damage was done. I didn't apply the clamp on the friction side of the material for the passenger side, I used both pads and pushed from the back of the second pad. I fully compressed the piston and then pushed it back out about 6 or seven times, by then it was compressing as easily as the drivers side. Then I compressed it one more time, then bled a small amount of brake fluid out with 2 ppl, then pushed and compressed the piston two more times. It felt smooth again like the drivers side, so I know probably a replace should be done soon, it was good enough for now. So after finishing all this up the brake reservoir was lower than middle but not at the low point so it needs topping up.
      I went to go for a test drive and when I backed out of the driveway I pulled the parking brake hard to reset the rear brakes. The thing is I had to stop and turn around as there is this terrible knuckle grinding sound coming from the rear brakes.
      What happened to the rears now? Is it because they have to be bled too? Did I push an air bubble back to them or something? I also did notice there is a lot of free travel in the pedal too.
      Last edited by northguest47; 12-10-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I could regularly glaze over my brake pads in about 5 minutes of driving.
      Once they glaze the brake fade just its worse and worse until you fix it..

My aveo also kept up with most honda civic SI's in autocross events.. just saying.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if you bled the brakes you need to bleed the whole system.
      Beyond that, I can't guess why the rears sound like they do..

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if you bled the brakes you need to bleed the whole system.
      Beyond that, I can't guess why the rears sound like they do..
      Ok I have time to tackle this tomorrow, I have 1/4 aquarium tubing, and a helper.. just wondering what order I should do them??
      The sound from the rear brakes on the test drive was really terrible like a knocking crunching sound.. from both sides.. never heard it before. Well guess I'm pulling the drums too.

Thanks
      Bwaaaahhh!! Ok have to admit it - I forgot to torque the lugs on the rear wheels, thats what the noise was. Bet I'm not the first one to do that hehe.. so a lot was learned in this task. For now alls I did was free up the piston on the passenger side, I'm going to order a new seal and install that next. I think this should do the trick for the winter.. so test drive today went fine, I think there is a tiny tiny bit of shake on the passenger side but its really minimal, I'm going to keep driving and see what happens, might replace that rotor (Edit: no rotor is fine because braking is smooth, the wheel is prob out of balance). Now that I know how to do the front and rear brakes I've got a lot more confidence to tackle something a bit more difficult, that control arm. And installing the new end link adapters rabbit sent me.
      I want to close up with one thought about bleeding brakes - I have a whole roll of aquarium tubing and wonder - can't I run a tube from the bleeder up and back into the main reservoir, and then just pump the brakes as many times as I want like say 100 times? The tubing is large enough on the inside for the air bubbles to rise and that way the brake fluid could just be cycled around. Just a though for when I do that caliper seal.
      Last edited by northguest47; 12-11-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by northguest47 View Post
      I want to close up with one thought about bleeding brakes - I have a whole roll of aquarium tubing and wonder - can't I run a tube from the bleeder up and back into the main reservoir, and then just pump the brakes as many times as I want like say 100 times? The tubing is large enough on the inside for the air bubbles to rise and that way the brake fluid could just be cycled around. Just a though for when I do that caliper seal.
      Personally I would get an auto-bleeder and replace all your fluid

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/u...-review-16303/

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast