•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creaking Noise

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      a steering wheel shaking at 40 and above is usually an unbalanced tire, caused most likely by a bent rim. most suspension issues you will feel way before 40mph. reading that it lasted 4 month and started again makes me thing your front suspension is not designed to withstand the way you drive on the type and condition of the roads in your area.

I had fully rebuild the front end of a daewoo with a identical front suspension, it barely made it four months before the new owner sold it because if felt like it was going to fall apart. needed all new suspension again because of bumpy cobblestone roads, pot holes and him not watching.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Did your rebuild include the subframe and control arms? I try to drive carefully (avoiding potholes especially). I don't corner hard or really go above sixty.

I may have said something wrong earlier. It didn't last four months. This problem went away last year after three or four attempts to fix it. It is back eleven months later. I am not a machanic, so I am lost.

I just had the wheels checked and the tires replaced. It made no difference. I've only put 8000 miles on it since the front was repaired. I'll have them check again for a bent wheel.

I may try Montreal. It is about ninety minutes from us. I just don't want to take the highway when town driving shakes the wheel already.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Since you have to travel anyhow, find someone with a road force balancer.

Thanks
      Thanks. They're looking at it today. I'm just stressed. Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Odd note. The creaking and vibrating started at the same time. If it is the same as last year, at least the parts are still under warranty. I'll share what it is if I find out. Thanks again.

Thanks
      They said it was the bushings on my control arms. They had to order the parts. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tjlaroc View Post
      They said it was the bushings on my control arms. They had to order the parts. I guess I'll find out in a few days.
      You should establish that the repair is warrantee before they proceed. At just 11 months and 8,000 miles it should be fully covered.

Thanks
      Well, after waiting over two weeks, they got my car in. Took them three days to do the work. I bought zuric when I bought my car used and it covered most of the repair. Sadly, it didn't fix anything. Since the shop signed that they fixed it and test drove it, I just called GM directly and told them my problem. They were shocked by the amount of work done to the front end of my car in a year. They even looked up the repair history while I was on the phone with them.

It is disappointing. I do like this car, I just wish someone could figure out what's wrong. The wheel still shakes badly at forty and up. If I ever learn what the problem is, I will share it. GM said to give the shop until Monday to contact me. If I don't hear from them, I call GM back on Tuesday.

To GM's credit, they were helpful. I know they are flooded with issues right now with all their recalls but they still tried to help.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tjlaroc View Post
      Well, after waiting over two weeks, they got my car in. Took them three days to do the work. I bought zuric when I bought my car used and it covered most of the repair. Sadly, it didn't fix anything. Since the shop signed that they fixed it and test drove it, I just called GM directly and told them my problem. They were shocked by the amount of work done to the front end of my car in a year. They even looked up the repair history while I was on the phone with them.

It is disappointing. I do like this car, I just wish someone could figure out what's wrong. The wheel still shakes badly at forty and up. If I ever learn what the problem is, I will share it. GM said to give the shop until Monday to contact me. If I don't hear from them, I call GM back on Tuesday.

To GM's credit, they were helpful. I know they are flooded with issues right now with all their recalls but they still tried to help.
      Hey there,

I hope a resolution will arise for your concerns. Let me know if you have any questions or would like further assistance. I will be sure to look out for your updates next week.

Patsy G
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Did not hear back from the dealership today. I tried all day for someone at GM customer service to talk to me before I had any luck (about seven hours of back and forth calls). My new rep said to take it in tomorrow morning and that they would be calling as well. This is just unreal. I'm tempted to take my system out, put the factory headlights back in it and sell it to buy another car. Hopefully this is the last time I have to bring it in for repair. I've been trying to get it fixed since 4 june. Since I got it back on 25 june, the shaking has been getting worse, starting around 35 mph. I have made one trip that went over that speed and have only driven to work since. I also have a few numbers to call if the dealership messes with the repairs again. I'm glad this isn't a problem a lot of people have had on here. If it is ever figured out, I'll let y'all know. I'll update with anything as I learn it anyway.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help figure out what it is. I'm certainly frustrated.

Thanks
      This happened yesterday, but I was busy. Happy 4th, by the way.

They are now saying it is a bent rim (good call, petrified rabbit). It either happened earlier and they missed it twice, or it happened in between when the car was barely being driven. Either way, I ordered a new rim and will hopefully have it early next week. I found a shop with a road force and will have them put the new tire on since the dealership obviously doesn't check things properly. They checked my other three wheels and things seem fine with them.

So it seems I had more than one issue. The ruined tires, bushings (which they stripped the bolts trying to remove them) and now the rim. Hopefully this will be the end of this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast