•  

Thread: Bumping noise - strut mounts?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Bumping noise - strut mounts?

Hey all, I have recently replaced both control arms and sway bar links. However, I still have a bump noise mostly when going very slow over semi-rough road. Car has 145,000km on it. What are the chances the strut mounts need replacing? Also, how hard are they to change? I've changed them on a sunfire before.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      After replacing the struts and mounts on both the '05 and '06, I'm fairly impressed by how durable the hard rubber/ steel-reinforced top and bottom strut mount bushings are. None of those 8 individual pieces showed any sign of deterioration, and probably could have been reused wthout any problem. That said, it's certainly possible that one or more of yours is breaking down. You could check them by removing the 2 spindle bolts to see if there's any play at the strut tower. But it must be getting to be time for new struts anyway, correct? Removing them from the strut tower is done by turning out the top nut with a box wrench, after first breaking it free by countering with a 9mm at the top of the strut shaft.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      After replacing the struts and mounts on both the '05 and '06, I'm fairly impressed by how durable the hard rubber/ steel-reinforced top and bottom strut mount bushings are. None of those 8 individual pieces showed any sign of deterioration, and probably could have been reused wthout any problem. That said, it's certainly possible that one or more of yours is breaking down. You could check them by removing the 2 spindle bolts to see if there's any play at the strut tower. But it must be getting to be time for new struts anyway, correct? Removing them from the strut tower is done by turning out the top nut with a box wrench, after first breaking it free by countering with a 9mm at the top of the strut shaft.
      Thanks, yeah I'm sure its probably almost that time. Seems like all the suspension components needed replacing within a very short time span. I am surprised to hear that the struts don't last longer though. They must be really cheaply made because I know some cars that are over 20 yrs old that never needed new struts. Oh well. At least it won't be an arm and a leg to replace Aveo struts.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hello raynon2,

We're sorry to hear that you are having concerns with your Aveo. Please feel free to reach out to our GM team in Canada if you need any further assistance. Their number is 800-263-3777.

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html