•  

Thread: Brake Squeal/Squeak....First Time In Morning.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Brake Squeal/Squeak....First Time In Morning.

OK. I looked over the forum and didnt see this question posted. So...here it is. My 2006 HB, with its 37K miles on it,...in the morning, on the first to third time I use the brakes, when they are COLD, they let out a slight squeak/squeal. Then its gone. Whats up? Is this normal for COLD brakes? It did it much louder this past week,with temps, in the low 50's. Thats cold for here. But now in the 60's its even less already.

It doesn't happen when they are warm/hot, I don't get it after the first 5 mins. of my city driving/stopping. It is very slight, and goes away after the 2nd-3rd stop. I just had the tires rotated and balanced a few days ago again, and I had the brakes checked, (not telling them about this noise), to see if they would come back with...'you need a full brake job, front and back'...but they didnt. 'Tires Plus'.

The guys I am afraid to have replace my timing belt and water pump,...that still hasn't snapped...yet,...anyway, they said my brakes and all its parts are all in perfect condition.

I was then having a problem with a HARD pull to the LEFT, not the RIGHT, after they rotated the tires, so I took it back the next day, and they re-rotated them like 3 times, and I specifically asked if my brakes were dragging, or damaged, if my tie rods were bent, or CV joints are leaking, etc,....nope, everything is in new condition. Now it is driving perfectly straight, no pull. To the LEFT was odd, usually a car pulls to the RIGHT, when you need an alignment. So..it was the rotation or balance they screwed up. But its fixed and drive fine.
      BUT is this very light squeak/squeal just cold metal in the morning warming up? Or is it a problem that is starting?

The back drums were replaced a few years ago,...maybe 3-4 thousand miles, the front ones are still the original pads. But they say they are still very thick, and if anyone wants to MAKE money, it is 'Tires Plus', or 'Tire Kingdom'...you know. So...any worry here, or is it just an annoying morning noise Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it is most likely just noise, semi metallic pads and metal rotors make noise, once they warm up to operating temperature it tends to go away as brake silencers and silencer grease warms up and goes where it needs to be. Having enough "measurements" of the brake parts doesn't mean everything is perfect. You could have a stuck caliper, or something else going on that wouldn't show up right away..

The pull could be the tires, if it was pulling to the left, and you put the left tires on the right side, it makes sense it could put to the right, if the issue is tire wear..

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      it is most likely just noise, semi metallic pads and metal rotors make noise, once they warm up to operating temperature it tends to go away as brake silencers and silencer grease warms up and goes where it needs to be. Having enough "measurements" of the brake parts doesn't mean everything is perfect. You could have a stuck caliper, or something else going on that wouldn't show up right away..

The pull could be the tires, if it was pulling to the left, and you put the left tires on the right side, it makes sense it could put to the right, if the issue is tire wear..
      The pulling was HARD to the LEFT, never in my life has a car/truck ever pulled so hard to the LEFT. It always happens to the right, (when it needs to be aligned'.
      But it is straight as an arrow now.
      It took them like 3 tries to get it to not pull. I pulled SO hard to the left, if I didn't hold the wheel for 2 seconds,I was in the next lane!

All I know is when they looked over the entire underside, to find out why it kept pulling, after 3 tries of rotating, and re-balancing....THEY said it was still doing it...I called them from home, after I left, and told them it was steering perfectly. They were surprised.

But while they wee doing it, I asked over and over if the brakes were dragging, or if the tie rods were bent, CV joints leaking etc..., or needing to be fixed or replaced. And I got 'everything is new under your car', 'you drive it so little and take care of it'.
      Today out driving, it didnt even do it in the first 5 mins. or ever. And did a whopping 20 miles today So...thanks guy.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It could be only a rust from moisture in the cool air at night.