•  

Thread: 3 problems at the same time? front end suspension clanking in different ways

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Exclamation 3 problems at the same time? front end suspension clanking in different ways

Hey everyone!!

My Aveo is a T250 '08 A/T (I think is korean version, I'm from Venezuela).

Now my problem: I'll try to tell when the front end suspension sounds, because there are different sounds that have me clueless:

1) When driving at speed (let's say, 80kmh or 50mph) and turning, if hit a pothole (trillions of them in Caracas), there is a strong clacking sound in the front end, is like there are some bolts loosen or something. We though it was the steering wheel column (you can feel it in your hands), but now after a better look (or hear) and check everything under the dash, it looks like the culprit is the rack and pinion. That sound has always been in the car since we had it 3 years ago (yes I know... it shouldn't be there), but lately is getting louder.

2) There is this strange cracking sound in the front end too, is like the suspension has osteoporosis or something every time you turn the wheel (no matter what direction) or every time ANYTHING in the suspension moves up or down at slow speeds. When the car is cold, there is no sound... but when it gets hot and you are driving at slow speed (traffic, a lot of it in here too) the cracking sound gets REALLY noisy. Funny thing: if you (luckily) get out of traffic and drive a couple of km/miles at more speed, when you stop or start driving slow again the cracking sound stops... for a few minutes, then come back to haunt us (when driving at medium/high speed it dissapear too). The difference in here with nr 1 is that you can feel nothing in the wheel everytime the damm sound comes back, and when sound is on it do it everytime anything moves, and nr 1 only happens when turning and hitting a pothole at the same time.

3) And this one is new: so we lifted one side of the car, put the tire out, and start checking it out. When you move the steering wheel from side to side (car lifted, engine off) there's a "clack-clack" sound in the rack where the steering column connects. We were like "...the f... this too?!"... put everything back and "another day". I put this in another point and not nr 1 because that is been part of the car, and this one is new (I usually check for sounds in the car).

Car drive greats, no problems there. Brakes in straight line, don't pull to a side, no rust, no leaks, I always take care of my car, inner/outer rods and control arm is <10000miles, struts w/ bushing and bearings like <20000miles, tires <6000miles... did I mention Caracas has a LOOOT of potholes and bad roads, so it eat suspension parts for breakfast?

I'd like to record this sounds... but is almost impossible haha! Any ideas? I'm checking my car again this or the next weekend.

Sorry for the long post, here's a 1.6L 16V potato
      Name:  potato_x220.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  30.7 KB

Thanks
      sway bar links... get the ones with the grease nipple so you can service every oil change.

loud klanking/crunching noises, thought it was bushings or suspension. Replaced them myself, loud noises gone

Thanks
      Thanks Clovensn0w!!

Update: today we lifted up with my mechanic. All bushings and tie rods are ok (as I say, they are almost knew). We check the car, with engine running, shutted down, everything... and every noise came from the same place: inside rack and pinion unit, where steering column connects.

So... no other way to fix than putting the rack and pinion unit out. Supposedly in two weeks (can't do it for now) we're gonna take it apart, I'll let you know what happen

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hello, im trying to revive this dead post as I have almost similar problem with my '04 aveo sedan, need help, ill try to xplain the problem in english the best possible way.

here's the thing, the car is doing well when driving around 60kmh up, but if I use the brake, the left front part of the tyre will make , I know tht it is not the brake pad because its different, and it only occurs when I slow down or turning my car to the right at slow speed. But sometimes, it doesnt make any sound, but when it do, it feel that as if something were going to break (thats in my imagination). So I need help from you guys.. It aveo sedan '04 gmmotor, right hand driver.

sorry for my bad english, im trying to xplain in the best possible way.