•  

Thread: 2007 Brakes Squeal

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2007 Brakes Squeal

Hey all, I have a 2007 chevy Aveo LS. Lately there is a loud squeal coming from the front when I brake. It has about 55,000 miles on it. I assume the brake pads need to be replaced. I am not car savy so I can't do this on my own. I called firestone who quoted me $149 to change the front brake pads and resurface the rotors with life time warranty on parts and 12 months warranty on labor. They have a coupon good for $20 off per axle for brake pads as well bring total to $129+tax. I think this is a fair price, what do you guys think?

Also, I know when I bring it in they will inspect the brakes and make recommendations. The car still brakes perfectly fine, just this squeal is very annoying. what are the odds something else could be wrong, like the drum or rotors needing replacement? I just know they will recommend it as they want $$$$$.

Thanks

Last edited by manofice; 04-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      when brake pads get low they squeak, some have squealer bars , some have metal flake in the pads themselves to squeal when low. a rock caught between the sheild and pad can also cause squealing.pads can cost anywhere from 25.00 a set to 100.00 a set so no1 can tell you if thats a good price not knowing what they are installing.goto more than 1 shop or use a shop that you or a family member trust. it is common for the shop to charge 1 hr labour and the rest is parts. i can change both front pads in my driveway in 30 mins or less.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Went to firestone, said the brake pads were at 4mm but I still decided to get them changed just because I had a coupon. He said the squealing was from a "notch" in the rotor. With the new pads and them resurfacing the rotor it is good to go now