•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17" motegis

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

17" motegis

what ya think, $550 can for the set of 4 and rubber 50-60 percent tread left
      universal 4x100
      for my 2009 aveo

2009 Aveo5 highway yellow mods to come!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3163083
      my other rides
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/flaveo5

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: 17" motegis

Quote Originally Posted by flaveo5
      what ya think, $550 can for the set of 4 and rubber 50-60 percent tread left
      universal 4x100
      for my 2009 aveo

[image robbed]
      1. Check that the backspacing and offset are correct. They're pretty standard measurements on many FWD cars, and are usually pretty interchangeable, but still something to look for.

2. I don't think I've ever paid more than $200 for a set of wheels and tires, usually with at least 50% tread. Those wheels look like an older model, and won't be worth much more than $200 for the set of 4 on open market. However, you're likely in a different area than I am, so prices will vary. That said, they were probably only about $130/ea new for the wheels, and the tires weren't likely to be any more expensive than that. A 50% depreciation of the rims and 60% for the tires (tires lose traction faster than they lose tread) puts the prices for the rims at a likely $65/ea ($260/set) and ~$50/ea ($200/set) for the tires puts the likely "fair" price at near $450. There's your offer, in cash.

3. Make sure the tires on the wheels are the same rolling diameter (or very close) as your OE tires. Any differences will be reflected in your ODO, Speedo, and MPG.

4. The wheel/tire combination is likely heavier overall than your OE combination. This will be reflected in your acceleration characteristics, as well as the stiffer suspension "ride quality" caused by lower profile tires, potentially higher inflation pressures, and added rotational/unsprung weight. This will also reflect negatively in your fuel economy, especially if you do alot of city/stop and go driving.

So, there's my $0.04 for ya.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

205/40 17s

all he knows is they are universal 4 lug

i guess i should test fit one first
      2009 Aveo5 highway yellow mods to come!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3163083
      my other rides
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/flaveo5

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flaveo5
      205/40 17s

all he knows is they are universal 4 lug

i guess i should test fit one first

That's another thing that really grinds my gears (shameless Family Guy reference) - Those rims aren't universal bolt pattern! They're 4x100, and 4x114.3 (4.5") most likely. There are several other patterns that a vehicle could have, such as 4x108, 4x110, and 4x5", to name a few.

Just thought I'd mention that, as well. Nothing doing on your deal, though.

And yes, test fit them. Ask if you can take them for a drive and leave your old wheels (and part of the cash) with him, as well. No better way to determine if there's a balance/out-of-round issue than to actually drive on them, and by the time you pay him and take off and notice it, it may just be too late!

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Only way to know...

As mentioned above, test fit.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Unidentifiable, flaveo5 is up in canada and those are canadian dollar prices he's talking about... you're most likely talking us dollars... just something to keep in mind.

just my U.S. $0.02
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Tires and wheels are rather pricy here in Canada, almost double. $500 isn’t to bad up here, that’s about the norm for used wheels.
      That’s why I’ll be making a day trip to Buffalo when I replace the rubber on my car, it’s half the price then up here.
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

thats changing, the government put sanctions and tariffs on cheap tires driving a lot of the "lower" "no name" tires companies out of the US entirely, allowing the other "commonly recognized" brands to raise some of their prices.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Hmm... how would that affect used tires/wheels market though? I imagine the price will go up, but not by very much. I think US prices on used tires/cars will still be lower than Canadian just because of the volume difference (i.e. more people selling=more competition=lower prices). Just like craigslist prices are usually lower for that kind of stuff on metropolitain areas rather than lower population areas for the same reason.

A firefighter from Canada came down here last year and bought my CX-7 (paid over 16k $ U.S. cash) and said that even after all the customs/duties etc... it will easily run him over 19k but it still makes sense to buy it in US and drive it up to Canada... so in canada prices for everything are higher than in us, eh?
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Canada is expensive...I learned that when I drove down to Washington a few weeks ago. Especially gas...damn, I feel for you guys.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast