•  

Thread: Parking brake boot replacement

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Parking brake boot replacement

Hey, does anyone know if replacing the boot that covers the parking brake is a DIY job, and is it hard to do? Also, where do you get a replacement from? I was cleaning my 2006 the other day, and I first noticed that it is rotting away at the points that it attaches to the brake arm, it looks WELL used,...and i RARELY use it.
      I cant recall the last time I used it. But it looks like it belongs in a car that has been pulled on as it is being 'drifted' around!
      I guess it is just old age? But can I replace it, without taking out half the floor/carpet? And how do I find a replacement boot for it? I tried online on the GM parts site, and I cant find it. Any idea where to look, and how big of a job it is, IF it is a DIY job. IF it is a mechanics job, is it expensive to get done? Or would it be a body shop 'job'. I cant see it taking all that long to do...but...with Aveos, who knows!? It could cost as much as the freaking timing belt!!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Go to car-part.com and search under the category "console" to get a used boot.

Removing the boot from the console is a matter of just bending the bracket inwards and pulling up. The plastic piece on the parking brake should be held in by a clip or a small set screw. It is def a DIY job.

You can also remove the boot, bring it into an auto upholstery shop or probably even a tailor or seamstress, and have them cut and sew you a new boot
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      2004 Aveo beater car

Thanks
      I just removed it myself yesterday. You manpulate the boot itself near the bottom and push it out of the console. Then you just remove the boot over the e-brake handle; it is held onto the handle by nothing.
      2004 Aveo beater car

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slayerized6 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-17-2017)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      I still haven't removed this stupid boot . I cant buy a replacement one, so i have put of doing it, till now. It is looking REAL bad now.
      I guess i can make a new boot cover myself. Do i just pull it off over the handle, it is held on with no screws or clips? I dont want to break a stupid $.05 clip, that I cant buy anymore, that holds it to the handle. It is making the car look like crap Sorry this is such a very late reply,...did you ever do this yourself? The thin plastic 'ring' that holds the bottom of the e-brake boot to the console is starting to bend inward, on the sides. Might have to super glue it back on, if I ever get it off. Did you make a new boot, or where did you find one? I cant find it anywhere.