•  

Thread: Mini-guide: Cheap (<$25) AUX port to replace stock head unit.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Mini-guide: Cheap (<$25) AUX port to replace stock head unit.

Here is a mini-guide for those that just want an AUX port to connect their phone/mp3 player/etc. to their car's speakers. This was done in a 2005 Aveo, but may also be useful for someone who wants an in-dash tablet/computer (since the amp is so small - 102x78x31mm).

This picture about sums up the motivation for this project (minus a volume dial): http://life-long-learners.com/wp-con...-Evolution.jpg

Disconnect battery.
      Remove headunit: I used a thin flathead screwdriver to gently free the plastic panels, then unscrewed the head unit+deposit box and pulled it out.

Connect wires
      : I used a wire-cutter (to cut the wires), a knife (to remove the insulation), and electrical tape (to hold things together). Exposed wires were wrapped around each other, then wrapped in electrical tape (unused wires were covered with tape). Wire connections are below:

Amp Power to [ACC. B+ (4)]
      Amp "To Radio" to [ACC. B+ (4)]
      Amp Ground to [Ground (14)]

Right Speakers
      [Amp R+] to [Front R+ (1)]
      [Front R- (9)] to [Rear R+ (2)]
      Amp R- to [Rear R- (10)]

Left Speakers
      Amp L+ to [Front L+ (7)]
      [Front L- (17)] to [Rear L+ (7)]
      Amp L- to [Rear L- (17)]

Plug everything in and make sure everything works.
      Mount the amp somewhere. I put it on top of the deposit box - measured, drilled, and bolted it.

Required:
      Amp $20-$25 (Amazon.com : Pyle PLMPA35 2-Channel 300-Watt Mini Amplifier with 3.5mm Input : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Electronics)

Aux cord - I bought three for ~$5 (Amazon.com: Neewer® 3x Retractable 3.5mm Aux Auxiliary Male to Male Audio Cord for 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Devices for iPhone 5 5S 4 4S iPod: Electronics)

Optional:
      Phone mount - I used the cup-holder at first, but my phone was too expensive to treat like that - ~$20 (Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Amazon Fire Phone and Galaxy S5/S4/Note3/Note 2 (HLCRIO101): Cell Phones & Accessories)

Bluetooth OBD-II Reader - sticks out a little, so check the size ~$7 (Amazon.com: New Version V1.5 ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner: Automotive)

2A charger for tablets/large phones - $9 (Amazon.com: Rapid Dual Car Charger with Micro USB - For Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 Note2 Note3 - Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, Moto X, LG G2, HTC ONE, DNA (Car Charger): Cell Phones & Accessories)

Torque Lite - $0 To communicate with the OBD-II Reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rquefree&hl=en)

OSMAnd~ Standalone GPS navigation without internet - Free/Open source (https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...et.osmand.plus)

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am talking about, so I'm relying on the collective wisdom of the members of this forum to point out any errors. This was meant to be cheap, quick, and dirty way for me to connect my phone to my car's speakers and have a manual dial to adjust the volume. It has met my expectations and is still working fine after two months - YMMV.

Recommended Reading:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/s...l-guide-13358/
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/radio-removal-7225/
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f84/2...install-14041/

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      So you've eliminated the actual radio completely? I guess if you were looking for the least expensive option to add aux input. Plus it makes for some interesting tinkering. My biggest concern would be no option to change any of the sound settings.

Another option would have been to go with one of these if price was the biggest factor:
      Amazon.com : XO Vision XD103 FM and MP3 Stereo Receiver with USB Port and SD Card Slot : Car Electronics

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of USB inputs vs AUX.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i was actually considering something like this for my "race" car. My thought was to figure out a lock out/code system where i could plug my phone into the dash where the speedo would go, have that act as the gauges, be the primary music source, and allow the car to start.. but i haven't found anything to make it the "key" but bluetooth obd2 port and a such would allow a speedo and tech with the right ap.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      So you've eliminated the actual radio completely?
      I've only used the radio while I was using an FM transmitter, so I had no reason to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      My biggest concern would be no option to change any of the sound settings.
      There are applications that emulate equalizers (I can't speak to their quality) if that's what you mean.

I actually considered the XD103, but I originally was planing on putting in a tablet (like the Nexus 7 link) and thought this was the best intermediate step. The main things preventing me from putting in a tablet is how I should mount it and how I'd stop it from getting stolen. Once I figure out those two questions, then I might take this project further.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      bluetooth obd2 port and a such would allow a speedo and tech with the right ap.
      The "Torque Lite" application I use can handle this part.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i haven't found anything to make it the "key"
      Have you looked into bluetooth remote starters? That is the first thing that comes to my mind.
      A quick search brought up this, but I also saw some comercial offerings that may be easier:
      Remote Car Starter using Bluetooth